WTB: Case Cut for Big Pinion Nut Transmission Jig

theKbStockpiler

WTB: Case Cut for Big Pinion Nut Transmission Jig

Post by theKbStockpiler »

Hi ,I'm interested in a Late model type 1 case that has a window cut/bell housing removed to adjust the shift forks. The cuts need to be straight and not go beyond the corners and otherwise be decently done. I'm looking to spend about $70 bucks plus the shipping.

Thanks!
Kbs
Super beetle with attitude
Bruce2

Re: WTB: Case Cut for Big Pinion Nut Transmission Jig

Post by Bruce2 »

There are two versions of Type 1 trans cases that use the late threaded pinion bearing. The early one is 70-72 and is configured to use the reverse idler gear with the brass cage to move it. After 73, height of the case where the reverse idler shaft goes was changed to accommodate the later paddle type reverse idler gear.
One case can work with both reverse idlers, the other case only works with its reverse idler.
Of course, I have both and use the right one depending on which reverse idler will be used. This allows you to set the max travel of reverse. If you get the case that allows both, there's no limit to the travel of the other reverse idler gear.
theKbStockpiler

I'm pretty sure I have a dual side cover model. I'll check it later this week. How does the 69 Irs model get left out? :? So is it the single side cover model that can be used to set up both versions of the Irs?
theKbStockpiler

I have the dual side cover IRS.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

theKbStockpiler wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:28 pm I'm pretty sure I have a dual side cover model. I'll check it later this week. How does the 69 Irs model get left out? :? So is it the single side cover model that can be used to set up both versions of the Irs?
Old post, I know.
69 uses the early pinion bearing held by 4 M10 bolts.
The switch from early to late reverse gears has nothing to do with the number of side covers. There are double side cover cases that use the early reverse, and some that use the later paddle reverse. The single side cover case is only used with the late paddle reverse.