Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your Ride

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Slayer

Re: Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your Ride

Post by Slayer » Tue May 05, 2020 12:24 pm

Greetings from Michigan.....

I'm about to acquire my first VW. It's a fuel injected convertible. Body is solid and interior is 80%. It needs a new top, which I likely won't buy as we plan to use it as a fair weather cruiser only. This has been in my family for 40 years or so and was given to one of my brothers by my dad. He restored the body on the car about 16 years ago. Since then, it's not been driven much at all and in the last 12 years, never left the garage. I know it needs tires so since I plan on replacing the wheels and putting disc brakes on it, that's not a big deal. My brother passed away unexpectedly, so I'm getting the car and plan to get it on the road.

The larger concern is that it hasn't ran in so long. I was told that it needs a head gasket. I'm not sure that's true or not, but I do know it's been leaking oil for a very long time. I don't have pics, and likely won't have the car in my garage for another few weeks yet. Below are my goals with this thing.

1. Get it running
2. Wash, polish, and seal the paint.
3. Disc brakes with drop spindles, new wheels, and new tires.
4. Performance engine upgrades - Question....do I replace the engine or rebuild it with a carburetors in lieu of fuel injection? I'm in the dark here.
5. New audio system.

We simply are going to make this a fun ride for running around town in good weather. I want to keep it in the family and work on it with the kids in hopes of inspiring them to work with their hands and get off the damn electronics.

I just joined the forum here, so I have a lot of reading to do. I welcome any opinions and direction on this project, including potential cost expenditures, parts resources, etc. I'll update with a new thread once I have the car here.

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck » Tue May 05, 2020 12:56 pm

Great to see your post. Lots to read and learn, help out where you can, need help just ask.

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Tue May 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Leatherneck wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:56 pm
Great to see your post. Lots to read and learn, help out where you can, need help just ask.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to the project. I'm just ready to get it running again. Everything else will follow.