Its all in the washer now; keep it clean!

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Ol'fogasaurus

Its all in the washer now; keep it clean!

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

We were having a discussion on "flanged nuts" in a different post which morphed to my mentioning split ring washers so when looking up for some information I found this:

https://engineerdog.com/2015/01/11/10-t ... fasteners/

Some good info but what I was looking for was the problem of split washer (locking washers) failing (going flat and loosing its spring) due to age and/or not being allowed to reshape periodically.

The discussion on Transvers loading vs. Axial loading was interesting... I didn't know what they postulated.

Good information on this and also jam nutting.

Also notice the conversation of shank loading vs. thread shear loading.

There is some talk in here about washers; it is very interesting to see all the different types of washers available:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=st ... &FORM=IGRE

Ignore the washing machines and see some of the styles (but probably not all styles) available. One of the washers I worked on was for the nut head riding the radius of a bracket or something like that. The washer was a bit thicker and the radius of the washer matched/or slightly smaller than the radius of the problem area so most of the loads were properly distributed w/o putting too much load on the radius causing material failure.

If you go to the box stores the washers they usually carry have a bigger hole than the shank/threaded area of the bolt. Quite often you can go down one bolt size on the washer but put the washer on the bolt you are using and try to slide it back and forth against the underside of the head of the bolt. You want some movement indication that the radius under the head of the bolt to the shank is not larger than the hole in the washer.

Lee
cbeck

Re: Its all in the washer now; keep it clean!

Post by cbeck »

Gonna have to read this closer when my head doesn't hurt so bad. Just drug my camper over 2k miles and my16' flatbed another couple hundred miles. Quite surprised to find my 2" ball that has been on my 6"drop came loose after 15 years. The vacation that never ended continues. Also involved a $800 1 way rental and a return flight.