First time VW buggy owner. Lots of questions.

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Noiro A. Buggyman

Re: First time VW buggy owner. Lots of questions.

Post by Noiro A. Buggyman »

Not sure which type I will use, but I will find something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Noiro A. Buggyman on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Hey bud your right up by me:)
Noiro A. Buggyman

Any thoughts on performance upgrades?
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Amr500 supercharger. If you can make your own mounts it's the best bang for your buck! Or a little turbo:)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

For the sand I would say KISS; e.g.,minimal but for other types of riding then I might get a bit more complicated. One thing I have been pondering is a GPS speedo but haven't gone for it yet.

The southern dune area (et al) does have a couple of speed limits depending on where you are at; add to that they are watched by the Sherriff and the Rangers. They are also currently monitoring the sound levels too. Go to https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/ATV/Pages/qa.aspx and check out the rules. A lot of the sites say the decibel limit "is X" while you will find out that there are more noise levels than "X".

There might be other things that you need to do like some class of vehicles now are required to carry insurance. Also some classes must take a test and carry the completion card.

I am a bit south of you in Brier.

Tires and rims, both front and rear are probably more diverse depending on the media you are playing in.

Turbos are the "hot thing" right now but depending how you ride they might be good or not as good.

Lee
Noiro A. Buggyman

I have a couple of GPS Speedometers apps on my phone. You could download one, and attach your phone to your steering wheel or gauge area. Then wire in a cigarette lighter outlet for your phone charger. Hell, for that matter you can use the phone as a dash-cam at the same time. Might want to put it in a water proof case or a cheap clear underwater phone bag.

I like doing upgrades with electrical stuff. I'm thinking about adding a CB radio, and maybe a solar battery tender to put on the roof.

I figured out what the transmission sensors do by testing them with a multi-meter. One is a reverse light switch, and the other is the neutral safety switch for the starter. I plan on hooking both up. Using one to ground the reverse light is easy, but using the other for the neutral safety will require a relay.
Noiro A. Buggyman

What would it cost to turbo a 1600 dual port?
Noiro A. Buggyman

Anyone use a SuperTrap type of exhaust? Any ups to downs?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I don't have a phone... my wife took it :roll: :lol: . I literally, don't have any use for one so it's loss was no loss.

I have used a Trapp. I got tested with the shorter one and missed the minimum limit but I think they took the test wrong. The pickup of the sound tester has to be at the edge of the outlet and 90 degrees from the air flow but since the Trapp has baffles that direct the airflow to the sided not the end I think the results may have been wrong. The plates of the Trapp can be removed to change sound and airflow. I'm not sure but there may be better options out there now that a lighter and work quieter.

The longer ones are quieter.

"What would it cost to turbo a 1600 dual port?" From what I hear here it would be more of a frustration than a cost :lol: . Check some of the strings on the turbo side of the site.

CBs are passé now days. I have one in my buggy but since no one else uses them now days there is no one to talk to if you are in trouble. Cell phones are the rage but then there are still "dead areas" so they can be worthless too. I think some of the truckers still use them but I think I heard that they are part of a group of some kind.

If you are going to drive on the street in WA then check with the WSP to see if rails are allowed on the street. They were but that was removed a long time ago for several reasons. There was talk about letting them on the street again (in legal form) but the last I heard (and that was about 2 years ago) there was talk but no action. The SXS sellers did get them somewhat street legal but the locations were small and the speeds were under 35 mph. My oldest stepson says that there is an area around Monroe and another one (I forget the town) where they can go from the riding areas to town. Not sure of all the doo-de-doo's on that though.

On the door thing... have you thought about side curtains like the roadsters use to have. I had them on my Bug-eyed Sprite. Just a thought.

Lee
Noiro A. Buggyman

I'm considering getting one of these upgraded sumps for my motor. Has anyone tried one of these? What driving conditions require one?

Do I need a 0.5 quart or a 1.5 quart sump?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Personal opinion: the 1 1/2 is going to give your oil pickup more oil to grab on steep grades. The 1 1/2 is what I use.

Lee
Noiro A. Buggyman

The small one is $35 and the big one is about $65. I'm thinking about getting one.

I wired up the neutral safety switch today using a relay. Safety first I guess.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I don't know how the small one is on the street but in steep trails and sand dunes the 1 1/2 quart one is used most commonly.

Lee
Noiro A. Buggyman

Anyone got a used 1.5 quart sump to sell?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Noiro A. Buggyman wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:21 pm Anyone got a used 1.5 quart sump to sell?
If you get a used one be sure to take a level with you to ensure the gasket area is flat.

Lee