New to me 74 412 fuel tank question

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 pm

New to me 74 412 fuel tank question

Post by Pbfalcon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:25 pm

I'm beginning the process of transferring my current daily drivers parts over to my newly acquired 412. The previous owner pulled all of the fittings from the fuel tank. I have the fuel tank plug with the fuel line barbs, and the level sender. There is a small hole in the center bottom of the tank that is threaded and I dont have the part that goes there. Is that a drain plug? If so what do I need to put in that hole. The threads look non standard like stamped threads.

More to come on this because I'm working toward firing up the engine that's in the car.

User avatar
Posts: 11857
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:01 am

Re: New to me 74 412 fuel tank question

Post by raygreenwood » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:55 pm

Sorry for the month delay. Yes...thats a drain plug. Its a low profile, flanged plug that takes an allen key. Its an M14 x 1.5 thread. Its part # is
N 16 027 1.
It has a sealing washer underneath it. The early chassis that seal was 14mm x 18mm. Later chassis was 14mm x 20mm. Its a resin coated type paper seal like around the gas tank fuel line bung.

If you can find a 14mm x 1.5mm socket head cap screw.....or even a bolt and shave teh top on each you can use that. The problem is that there is very little room between the plug and the sub frame. While a regular hex bolt or socket head cap screw can fit and likely will not have access to remove it while the tank is installed. As it is if memory access while the tank is in the car....I had to use an allen key that I cut off all of about 8mm of the short arm. Ray

Post Reply