1900cc and stock exhaust

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
ron3865

1900cc and stock exhaust

Post by ron3865 »

I have my eye on a couple of Ghias with 1915cc motors and an exhaust system that doesn't use the heat exchangers. If i get one of these I would like to re fit the original exhaust mainly to get a heater and defroster. Other than probably losing some power would there be a problem with doing this?
Thanks in advance
----------------------
Ephry73

1900cc and stock exhaust

Post by Ephry73 »

There’s no problem really in doing this, but you will sacrifice power. There are companies that make a bigger inter diameter tube heat exchangers as well as exhausts.

Take it from someone that has driven a few beetles and Ghias in severe winters, the heat exchangers do nothing for heat. If there’s a leak you’ll smell like exhaust fumes for days as well. Not to mention what that does to your Lungs.

If you want heat that works, there are a few companies making electrical element heaters for cars that actually work and let you run your motor the way it was intended. Same goes for air conditioner.

Nothing says hard core VW like having to ice scrape the inside of your windshield to start driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sideshow

Re: 1900cc and stock exhaust

Post by sideshow »

I've run the 1.5" heater boxes on a few 2l. They don't work as well OEM boxes but do clear the windshield.
I fell the luke warm air for the windshield is worth it, but as cabin heat not so much.
Electric seat heaters are a good deal in anything and don't require much
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.