Overhead-camming a Type 1 engine

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Jadewombat

Re: Overhead-camming a Type 1 engine

Post by Jadewombat » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:45 pm

I added the cam saddles and drilled the drain holes for the oil back to the sump. The plate will actually be square instead of that curve I cut into it to match a valve cover gasket. At some point here I'll start on drawing it up in CAD.

The bigger picture plan is to 3D render a model with the plate and cam saddles separate so I can make adjustments, 3D print up a plastic model, more adjustments, then the machining of aluminum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VolksRodT

Post by VolksRodT » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:36 pm

Hey, JW;
I think you're on the right track. ~25+ yrs ago, Pete Ardemea did something similar w/a chev n fordv8, & has since done all kinds of different head mods/add-ons. The parts used for heads swaps aren't important, but the idea(s) n maybe parts used for his early endeavors might be worth looking into, may save you some trouble & time. I have most of the past articles on Pete, but couldn't find them now if you paid me. IIRC, he used Fiat buckets, forget what he used for shims/lash caps. Toyota(?) cam gears n belt(?). It's the cam boxes, drives, etc that are important. Found a few links, one is selling an article from HotRod ~'94. Might be able to read it, or find it. Also the article from StreetRodder was good for parts.info. Pete lost all his tooling, parts, etc in a CA fire years ago, got some back, & is now into serious engine design/building for speed records. Searching should get you more info.

Hope I'm not causing a problem here, links are only to convey info I can't any other way.

Street Rodder, June 1994
page 94, "Convert Your Small Block Chevy to an 8000 RPM Single Overhead
Cam Motor." The article shows the Chevy conversion in detail, with a
couple of photos and some mention of a Ford Windsor conversion. It's a
cam carrier that bolts in place of the stock valve cover, two custom
Schneider cams, a custom front cover, and a mix of off-the-shelf foreign
car timing gears and belts. The price for the Chevy kit was $2595.
(Contact info is probably way out of date).
Pete Aardema
7801 Mission Center Court
Suite 200
San Diego CA 92018
619-279-6500

HotRod 2001:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aardema-Chev ... 2672190377

https://www.woonkymobile.info/super-sna ... heads.html

FWIW.
Marcus...

Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:57 pm

Thanks Man, yeah absolutely I will check out Pete's stuff. Very interested how he did his oil passages.

I'm just starting to knock the rust off my knowledge of mocking things up in AutoCAD. The nice thing is as you said being able to change the dimensions around with different parts and move things. The valve and valve spring relative to the VW head casting don't change, but everything around it I can (bucket, cam position, etc.).

Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:18 am

Anyone know what type of aluminum I need to be shooting for? There's several different grades out there:

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/metal ... num-plate/

Starting to draw it up in AutoCAD. I did a simple drawing to be able to measure how much the lifter needs to stick out of the top of the plate at an angle. The T1 head has an angle of ~10-11 degrees from vertical.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:10 am

Not too much going on with it lately. I fabbed up a valve spring removal tool as I'm not about to drop $50 on one. Popped out of the springs and made an extension so I could measure the angle of the valve from vertical which is 10 degrees.

Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Mocking up and measuring a virtual lifter in AutoCAD to find out how much 10 degrees affects the stickout.