72 beetle no start when key turned.gen light comes on

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
rrb6699

72 beetle no start when key turned.gen light comes on

Post by rrb6699 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:07 pm

I want to see what feedback I get on it before I make my guesses.

I had to take this bug off the road for about a year to address bodywork and painting. The car was not running and had a start problem before I took it off the road. It wouldn't start after 20 minutes or more trip if I shut it off. then it wouldn't start at all, so, decided to take it off the road. I had suspected the ignition and starter to be bad so I just replaced the starter yesterday as I'm thinking of getting it running now.

When I turn the key I get the generator light but nothing. The car does not turn over. The headlights seem to be bright. I charged the battery up fully before I tried to start it. I can't get the starter to turn by jumping across the terminals either. I thought that was the good old test to see if it was going to start at all. the engine is not frozen up. I can turn the engine manually.

I get spark on the starter terminals when I cross them with a screwdriver. But it does not turn it either. This car has a pertronix ignition from about 2007. Please forgive my spelling.

I'm thinking I have to replace all of the electronics in the rotor since they've probably are too old now I have been heated up and cool down way too many times. I have new plug wires and plugs and also a new rotor and rotor cap. The spark plugs are new also. The only other thing I can think of is the Blue Max Coil I have. But those rarely fail I think. But I'm not ruling it out.

If you think my electronic ignition should be replaced that's what I'm angling for here if not what else should I check besides doing that which I plan on doing anyway?
RR

1972 Restoration Project.

V8Nate

Re: 72 beetle no start when key turned.gen light comes on

Post by V8Nate » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:59 am

I would replace your starter since it won't turn over the motor with the key or jumping the solenoid. A starter from an autostick will bolt right up and is a high torque starter

rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:28 am

you didn't read the post.
starter, wires, rotor/cap, grounds all new wires, plugs, plug wires are ALL new. the battery is fully charged..

unless you suggest that I replace a brand new starter, I can't see why anything electrical in what is new needs replacing.

I think I have a new ignition switch somewhere but hard testing the starter should pop the solenoid right?

I'm sorta out of ideas.
RR

1972 Restoration Project.

V8Nate

Post by V8Nate » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:59 am

Ah I didn't notice the new starter part, I've seen new starters bad right out of the box and jumping the solenoid should definitely get it to turn over. You could try running a ground directly from the battery to the starter but it should still be doing something

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:33 am

As Nate said, they can come from the factory and not work. If there is any questions then it should be pulled and taken to where you got it and have it checked. It is a simple check (or used to be) where they put/lay it on a field checking tool and, as I remember it made a sound (but I don't remember if that was a good or bad). It takes just a few minutes.

For those who haven't done it before or aren't sure this is about an at home check (its got ads): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x2hIOtBfzE

Lee