Tinware hole... What's it for?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
vwjim

Tinware hole... What's it for?

Post by vwjim »

tinware.jpg
I found this photo online to describe the hole I'm talking about.

On the alternator backing plate there's a hole, on this engine its at the top. I've seen it in that position on several engines. More often I've seen it below the alternator.

I've seen people call it a mounting point for an HT lead clip. Also others refer to it as part of the cooling design for air drawn through the alternator. But I've never found it referenced in a VW manual to find its true purpose once and for all.

So, should it be at the top or the bottom? And therefore blocked or open?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCOTTRODS

Re: Tinware hole... What's it for?

Post by SCOTTRODS »

I think the holes for the cable clips were actually in the fan housing... and belong UNDER the generator/alternator. There should be a clip that looks like this, involved... It holds the spark plug wires for the right side of the engine. That hole could be purposed for the clip... When I change my Cover on my Bug I'll have to look to verify that, but I don't remember it being on the back plate for the Charger/alternator. Theengine in your picture has no visible location for it... but tins are an easy swap and often are not correct in many ways. On older models, pre 65-ish... with the little motors, had a metal tube the Spark plug wires were routed through to both dies of the engine if I remember right. A buddy of mine has a 59 with all original engine configuration, that has the tube, and running wires through it sucks... There are also two different clips like the one pictured below, one has 2 wire and one has 3 wire accommodations...

I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I also recall that hole being the same as the spark plug cables holes from the blower shroud, myself I would clock that either above or below to match my need for a wire holder. Below the generator if I was unsure (as I also have only seen clips for 2 or 3 HT leads)
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I had forgotten all about those spark plug holders. In my VW engines that mounting cover was rotated so that the hole(s) for the clamps were underneath so the plug wires went behind the intake and below the intake manifold's mount(s) for the carb(s).

Lee
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

I am not sure what the hole is for, but the assembly of the backing plate, fan and shims is in most of the manuals I have seen. There is a slot on the back side of the plate in the picture. The slot directs air for cooling. I typed in fan cover assembly slot direction and an post appeared on this forum. I am not sure how to post the article on this forum.

Thanks,
Mitchell
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Sorry, I meant the Samba.

Hope this helps.
Mitchell
vwjim

Post by vwjim »

Mitchell wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:04 am I am not sure what the hole is for, but the assembly of the backing plate, fan and shims is in most of the manuals I have seen. There is a slot on the back side of the plate in the picture. The slot directs air for cooling. I typed in fan cover assembly slot direction and an post appeared on this forum. I am not sure how to post the article on this forum.

Thanks,
Mitchell
Yeah, I know how all the internals go together.

Purely trying to see if anyone has ever seen that hole mentioned in a manual. As I haven't.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

That slot opening I have always pointed towards the case, most OEM blower shrouds seem to have a matching slight dip that matchs
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

My apology to vwjim. As shideshow pointed out the slot I referred to points to the case and this will place the hole you referenced in the correct location. I hope I did not offend you in any way.

Thanks,
Mitchell
vwjim

Post by vwjim »

Yes the internal slot always goes at the bottom for the correct airflow through the alternator.

The external round hole is what I was referring too and that is independent of the internal tinware, hence why sometimes its at the top and sometimes its at the bottom when people mount it. I was just looking for someone that could confirm the function from a VW manual etc, not hearsay.