LCD Dash board (overkill)

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
nbuscemi

Post by nbuscemi »

Ever since I converted my 1968 Sedan to EFI back in 20017 I've been trying to figure out a way to make my dash digital.

Here is my first attempt. Everything worked as designed ( I use that term loosely) but the screen was not in good line of sight. On top of that, I was unhappy with the accuracy of both the OEM speedometer and fuel gauge.

Fast forward to this weekend...

Overkill? No doubt. Why do this you may ask... Because Racecar!

The screen consist of a hacked tablet mounted to a pivot ball that's attached to dash via a plate that replaced the OEM speedo. The screen is attached to a Raspberry Pi 3 running TunerStudio, of which is connected to a Megasquirt 2 EFI. Vehicle speed is acquired with a GPS dongle. Jury is still out on its accuracy, I still need to verify. I use a wireless keyboard that I keep under the seat if I need to make any adjustments.

The center console was fabbed by yours truly. Consist of battery shut-off switch, fuel gauge, and light switches.

Best part is... this can all be reversed back to stock if the mood strikes as no cutting and minimal drilling has been done.

Enjoy!

-Nick-
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

I’m digging your set up!

I have a very similar set up built. I also had it mounted low and wasn’t a fan so it’s been out for a few months with few changes to placement.

I plan to move my radio to the glove box and mount it where the radio was previously.

That said I’m also looking to do the GPS dongle.

Also what steering wheel is that?
nbuscemi

Re: LCD Dash board (overkill)

Post by nbuscemi »

Schweg wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:42 pm I’m digging your set up!

I have a very similar set up built. I also had it mounted low and wasn’t a fan so it’s been out for a few months with few changes to placement.

I plan to move my radio to the glove box and mount it where the radio was previously.

That said I’m also looking to do the GPS dongle.

Also what steering wheel is that?
Its a 13" Grant wheel mounted to a "custom" made adapter. The horn button (non-functioning at the moment) is an emblem from a MK4 Golf 2.0 engine cover that I painted with textured black paint. I spray painted the wheel spokes to match the cars rims and the engine tin.

-Nick-
nbuscemi

Post by nbuscemi »

UPDATE:

I went for a drive today with my Garmin GPS to see how accurate the RPi w/ GPS dongle was.

To my surprise, it was dead on!!! In fact, Tunerstudio used the GPS input during datalogging.

DOUBLE WIN!!!

-Nick-
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

Which GPS dongle are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbuscemi

Post by nbuscemi »

Schweg wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:08 pm Which GPS dongle are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheap one from Amazon.

-Nick-
nbuscemi

Post by nbuscemi »

I recently started using TS-Dash on my project. I have to say, pretty impressed. I was using basic Tunerstudio on the RPi as a dashboard and that worked fine. TS-Dash boots up alot faster and doesn't require me to update the tune file every time I switch from the dashboard to my laptop.

Here is the current state of my dashboard. Yes, I am obsessed with instrumentation!!!

-Nick-
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

nbuscemi wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:05 am I recently started using TS-Dash on my project. I have to say, pretty impressed. I was using basic Tunerstudio on the RPi as a dashboard and that worked fine. TS-Dash boots up alot faster and doesn't require me to update the tune file every time I switch from the dashboard to my laptop.

Here is the current state of my dashboard. Yes, I am obsessed with instrumentation!!!

-Nick-
I think I would move the switch away from the passenger in-case it/they get :shock: . Something I learned many years ago but... then I have heard of one instance where the power switch on the pass side did come in handy.

Lee
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

I’ve mounted a screen ready for a similar RPI based dash. Not wired in yet though. I’ve used the RPI dash install because it’s “lightweight” but I’ve changed the start-up script to open TS & switch to full screen (custom) dash.

I’m going to wire it in via a timer relay & write a simple script to shutdown the RPI when the ignition powers down. The relay will keep powering the RPI for a short time after keyed-off to give it a chance to shutdown cleanly.
nbuscemi

Post by nbuscemi »

TS-Dash has a built in Shutdown script that works really well. My problem is the circuitry to manage it. I use the two back-lit toggle switches located on the lower console. I press both to turn the dash on. When I want to shut down the dash I switch the left one off. The Pi goes through its shutdown process and when the screen goes blank, I turn off the right switch cutting power to the Pi and the screen.

It all sounds too complicated, but it's really not too bad. Shutdown takes 10 seconds or so. I have it wired so I can have the dash on (for dash adjustment and downloading datalogs) without having the ignition on.

-Nick-
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

nbuscemi wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:35 am TS-Dash has a built in Shutdown script that works really well. My problem is the circuitry to manage it. I use the two back-lit toggle switches located on the lower console. I press both to turn the dash on. When I want to shut down the dash I switch the left one off. The Pi goes through its shutdown process and when the screen goes blank, I turn off the right switch cutting power to the Pi and the screen.

It all sounds too complicated, but it's really not too bad. Shutdown takes 10 seconds or so. I have it wired so I can have the dash on (for dash adjustment and downloading datalogs) without having the ignition on.

-Nick-
I like the concept/idea, but I think there could be potential problems built into it. If something goes wrong the finding of the problem COULD be a bit more difficult to find.

The 10 second time thing I am not sure of in an emergency.

Again, cause and effect could be back in the game.

Lee
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

I’ve fitted mine today.

The relay is powered from perm live (wire 30) via a spare fuse (stock fuse panel). The timer relay (Hella) is fitted to the stock relay panel. The ignition feed (wire 15) triggers the relay to power up the screen & RPI. When the ignition power drops the relay holds the power to the RPI for another 10 secs (adjustable). At the same time the ignition 12v feed goes via a logic level voltage converter. This converts 0v/12v signal into 0v/3.3v signal. So when the ignition 12v drops to 0V, a pin on the Rpi drops from 3.3v to 0v which triggers the shutdown script.

Ive got a slight problem because when the Rpi connects to the speeduino it resets the aurduino causing the engine to cut out. I need to lock the reset pin to 3.3V to prevent this. I’ll do it via a switch so I can deactivate which is necessary for any future firmware updates
Kafer_Mike

Post by Kafer_Mike »

How are you guys connecting to the RPI for TS-Dash -- BT, wifi or wired connection? Piecing together and installing my MS2 EFI conversion and looking to do something similar.
"Build 'em fast...or let 'em sit"
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

I went with wired. Considered Bluetooth & wifi but decided to go with wired for reliability.
nbuscemi

Post by nbuscemi »

Kafer_Mike wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:04 am How are you guys connecting to the RPI for TS-Dash -- BT, wifi or wired connection? Piecing together and installing my MS2 EFI conversion and looking to do something similar.
I have the MS-2 connected to the RPi via USB. The connection is through a USB extension cord located at the base of the shifter so I can easily disconnect it and plug the MS-2 into my laptop if the need ever arises.

Keep in mind that you can access TS-Dash via WiFi though a web based server. Efi Analytics also sells a piece of software called Echo Dash that allows you to make tuning adjustments to the car through TS-Dash. I haven't tried Echo Dash yet, but plan to in the future. I'm waiting to upgrade my RPi 3 to a RPi 4.

-Nick-