65 beetle battery

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
MILLERS2002

65 beetle battery

Post by MILLERS2002 »

So spring is here!! Time to get to work on the project again. First question my beetle has a 6volt battery, would, it make sense to switch it over to a 12volt system? Or is that a lot of wasted work for not much benefit??
Next, I have read that the seat springs coild short out the battery?? If so how or what do you do to prevent that? I have the original battery cover but it is metal so wouldn't I still have the same issue?? And one more question......how do you guys wash the underside of the car? I am afraid to take it to high-pressure car wash to get under body wash and I have a pressure washer but obviously reach is limited. Need to do under body work(brake lines, throttle cable etc and just a good old cleaning under it) any help/ideas would be great, thanks all!!
V8Nate

Re: 65 beetle battery

Post by V8Nate »

If you drive at night or when it's dark out 12v definitely helps with visibility for you and others. You will have to change all your bulbs, generator/ alternator, and I can't remember if 65 is the same as my 66 with the turn signal/hazard relay being 1 piece. I'm pretty sure they sell those in 12v now. Your 6v wiper motor will work for a while but will be fast( you can get a voltage reducer, 12v conversion kit, or a 12v motor/assembly.)

The cover off of trailer battery box works well or a piece of rubber to isolate the terminals from the bottom of your seat:)
MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

Thanks Nate!!
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

No problem, as far as cleaning the underside don't be afraid to clean it, if you know where rust holes are stay away from those, everything else you can get(if the pressure washing system is very powerful just don't get really close to the rubber brake lines they can be damaged. If your going to a drive in car wash you could bring some ramps and back onto them or jack stands and a jack. It your doing it at home you can buy a cheap "driveway cleaner" attachment from amazon(they look like a roundish unit with casters and spray jets) and flip it upside down and spray under your car that wayImageImage
MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

I wish her undercarriage looked that clean!!! I don't think it has even been washed except driving in the rain!! Lots of oil residue and road crud......thinkni will look into one of those attachments for the pressure washer like you said, good idea!