More help!!?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
MILLERS2002

More help!!?

Post by MILLERS2002 »

Ok so I am rebuilding the brakes on the 65 beetle. I know the question has been asked a million times and I have watched many how too videos.
I was able to get the left side rear spindle lug off using the "let penitrating oil soak,make brace bracket that bolts on with lugnuts, use a breaker bar with a long extension" method, it wasn't easy but it worked. But the right side WILL NOT BUDGE!! actually broke the breaker bar!!

Does anyone have any other tricks,other then the obvious of paying over $100 for the torque multiplier tool(do t want to spend that for something I may only use a couple times.....I am cheap!! Lol!!) Again, any help would be great, thanks!!
Kafer_Mike

Re: More help!!?

Post by Kafer_Mike »

Phone a friend with a high torque impact. That may only cost you a beer or three. :wink: Otherwise, you can cut/split it off with an angle grinder and a 4" thin cutoff wheel. Facing the nut, cut off one of the peaks from the front to rear, parallel to the stub axle (as close to the axle as you can without getting into the threads or drum). A hammer and chisel will get you the rest of the way.
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Buy the tool that is a flat piece of 3/8 steel with a 36mm hex and a spot for a 1/2 drive, I believe they are called axle nut tool and they are great to have anyway. Hold tension on it with a breaker bar or ratchet and hit the edge with a sledgehammer it'll come right off. A impact gun will work as well to get it off and if you don't have a proper torque wrench the impact will hopefully get it tight enough. I don't advise cutting the nut off
MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

Thanks guys, yea don't trust myself cutting it off! I did see that other tool your talking g about Nate, looks like the way I will try next, pretty cheap way to go if it works. Just can't believe those dam things are that tight!! What are the torque specks on them anyway, i have seen on utube anywhere from 200 up to 250lbs!?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

MILLERS2002 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:13 pm Thanks guys, yea don't trust myself cutting it off! I did see that other tool your talking g about Nate, looks like the way I will try next, pretty cheap way to go if it works. Just can't believe those dam things are that tight!! What are the torque specks on them anyway, i have seen on utube anywhere from 200 up to 250lbs!?
After a night on the drag strip murdered both drums on my street car, I upped my torque from 250ft/lbs to 450 ft/lbs. I haven't had an issue since. Good axles though. Not sure I'd do it to a set of stockers.
MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

🤣🤣
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

Angle grinder method works and with patience is safe. Do not drill the nut, you will hit the stub. Just thin one flat or peak of the nut from the side, carefully easing up to the drum (if you are replacing the drum that is less important). The grinder will add a load of heat too which helps. Once the nut is quite thin but before you break through into the threads!!!, the nut will stretch as you pull on the breaker and release. Used this method previously on rusted solid nuts when the impact gun did nothing
coop007

Post by coop007 »

Get Empi torguemeister. Topline sells them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

V8Nate wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:26 pm Buy the tool that is a flat piece of 3/8 steel with a 36mm hex and a spot for a 1/2 drive, I believe they are called axle nut tool and they are great to have anyway. Hold tension on it with a breaker bar or ratchet and hit the edge with a sledgehammer it'll come right off. A impact gun will work as well to get it off and if you don't have a proper torque wrench the impact will hopefully get it tight enough. I don't advise cutting the nut off
Hey Nate, It WORKED!!! Took some heavy pounding(started lite and then really started hitting it) but the tool worked, best $8 I have ever spent!!! So now that I have covers off, brakes don't look that bad pads seem to be ok.....is there a way to just clean them up(besides a heavy dose of brake cleaner)?hate to replace them if I don't have to. Whole thing stayed with what seemed like the passenger side rear wheel hanging up. There was a lot of brake dust in there but other wise they look pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

Or do they, here is a pic, should I replace them???
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Do a search but as I remember brake shoes can swell with age (not being used for a long time also) and should be replaced.

Be careful with over torqueing the axle nut as at least two things can happen:

1. you can stretch the threaded (grain) area of the fastener and/or nut and weaken one or both.

2: you can drive/torque the brake drum into different places within the brake system itself and lock things up.

Lee
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Glad it worked they are a tool every vw owner should have:)