Engine dies when coming up to junctions, every now and again?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
rich112

Engine dies when coming up to junctions, every now and again?

Post by rich112 »

'68 1300 single port, Solex 30 PICT 2 carb. Vacuum only dizzy with Pertronix.

Checked timing, valves and plugs.

Drives fine, idles fine.

BUT the motor just dies when coming off the gas at junctions. Not every time though.

Is this likely to be a carb issue? Idle mixture setting?
DanNew

Re: Engine dies when coming up to junctions, every now and again?

Post by DanNew »

I experienced that problem when coming to a stop at an intersection. What I found was there were two issues. One was I didn't have the timing set exactly right, which adjusting that helped but didn't completely solve it. The other was my 009 distributor. When I replaced it with a Pertronix SVDA distributor with solid state ignition the problem was resolved.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

On the 009 dist, there are two 009 styles; the older style and the later one which seems to be better (the cases are visually different). They're advance comes in earlier than other distributers like the sedan's do but spinning it will tell you what is going on advance wise. I think there are some adjustments that can be made.

Have the dist. put on a spinning machine which well tell you if the bearing/bushings are OK and the advance is working and not hanging up. My dist. is updated to the Pertronix innards also which did help.

I have been told that the 010 (a later dist.) can be updated and run w/o the vacuum advance.

Also have the carb(s) checked for float level and the innards working/adjusted correctly (the float for example).

It is always the more "sneaky things" that often cause the problems so don't just stick with the obvious things.

Lee
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Don't forget to check the float level.

Max