How to route coolant lines in my kg

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
kg2457

How to route coolant lines in my kg

Post by kg2457 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:30 pm

Route them on the centerline or along the perimeter
under the rockers??

Andy Somogyi

Re: How to route coolant lines in my kg

Post by Andy Somogyi » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:34 pm

kg2457 wrote:Route them on the centerline or along the perimeter
under the rockers??
Most type-3 swaps go along the center, and most bug swaps seem to follow the perimeter of the pan.

I’m not sure if anyone has done it, but could you go inside the heater ducts? I’ve seen a couple Porsche swaps where they used Gates Green Stripe pulled thought they heater ducts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kjackbrown

Post by kjackbrown » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:03 pm

"Ice Scraper" ghia (Canada) ran his inside the car next to the heater channels.

I was looking into running mine (soon to start build) inside heater channels....but....apparently there is "stuff" inside them. Unless yours are all rotted out and need to be replaced anyways, it might not be worth your time.

dlamyle

Post by dlamyle » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:50 pm

I ran mine outside down the center. They put off some heat so unless you want to feel that in the summer I'd keep them outside the tunnel and channels.
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread

Andy Somogyi

Post by Andy Somogyi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 pm

I'm swapping a EJ251 into my 76 Porsche 912, and I think I'm going to route them under the rocker panels, similar to how the factory ran the oil cooler lines. I personally can't stand the look of exposed plumbing, but I think I've got a solution. The impact bumper cars, like mine came with steel rocker covers. Basically all I have to do is lengthen the lower stand-offs by about 1/2" and they should cover 1.25" aluminum tube water lines.

The only remaining challenge is the left side is really tight, might have to use some sort of flex rubber tube to route around the rear torsion bar tube.

911 rocker cover.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kg2457

Post by kg2457 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:52 pm

I have another question and the cooling. I’m using a Kennedy Engineering conversion kit which talks about installing a washer at the entrance of the radiator in or to control steam flash. Never heard of this before. What’s it all about?

Andy Somogyi

Post by Andy Somogyi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:27 pm

kg2457 wrote:I have another question and the cooling. I’m using a Kennedy Engineering conversion kit which talks about installing a washer at the entrance of the radiator in or to control steam flash. Never heard of this before. What’s it all about?
Can you take a pic and post it? Sounds strange, as flash steam is what you can get on the cold side, as that’s where the pressure is reduced.

Normally you run a swirl and overflow tanks at the highest point on the pressure side.

Have you decided what kind of radiators you want to run? I hear that the Austin Mini radiators fit nicely in the Ghia front fenders

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

kg2457

Post by kg2457 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:47 am

I’m using a rad from a 1990 Chevy citation that I had to input/output oriented to work in the KG tire well.

I recognize that I’m going to have two high points , one in the front and other one in the rear but I’m unclear about how to configure the purge tank.
Let me see how to attach photos. I’m good looking but I’m not that bright.

kg2457

Post by kg2457 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:16 pm

Another issue
Trying to stuff the EJ25 engine in from underneath.
I’m beginning to think the hole in the engine floor is just too tight.
Should I trim around the engine and pick up some space?