reverse drive a subaru transmission?

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
chickensoup

reverse drive a subaru transmission?

Post by chickensoup »

hello,
im wanting to install a subaru trans in my 64 bug on a 71 irs pan. However, the big question is, how can i find a reverse drive kit without having to buy the 1900 dollar subagears kit? Can i have a machine shop make me the specialty gears or modify my old ones?

thanks
bad62bug

Re: reverse drive a subaru transmission?

Post by bad62bug »

I don't think you could have it done for less, and you can not mod the old ones.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

If you want to save money on a Subaru trans for your bug, the kit is not the place where you'll find anything. I suppose you could ask for a slight discount for deleting the shift knob from the kit.
I believe the kit's price includes shipping by air. If you can tolerate waiting for 3 months, ask if it can be sent surface. That might save you some bucks.

Here's what the kit comes with:
Ring & Pinion
Subaru to VW drive flanges
Output shaft coupler
Sight glass/filler hole
Center diff plug
Dip stick cap and clamp
breather vent filter
Shift knob

There are two ways to save $ on the whole project.
Subaru trans cores are cheap and plentiful. I scored 3 for free on my local CL. A local independent Subaru shop had them. Customers had problems with them so they got used gearboxes from wrecked cars and put them in. They didn't even try to fix them. But to me, they are just for parts.
Getting a known good trans will save you $ on the build. If you can drive the car and it shifts good and makes no noise, the trans internals are likely to be in good shape, meaning you don't have to buy synchros or bearings.

The second way to save $ is to do the conversion yourself. You have to be very mechanically inclined and an experienced mechanic to accomplish the build. Post a build topic in the Transaxle forum here on STF when you need help.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

It seems like a lot of money at first for the Subaru gears kit until you compare it to getting a built vw trans, adapter kit, clutch, hi torque starter, etc. it’s not that much more after you total it all up. I kept my VW trans because it was bought and built up years ago. It didn’t make sense money wise for me to get the Subaru gears kit but I wish I had the fifth gear.