Anyone use the VW fuel line for return?

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
shermer-high

Anyone use the VW fuel line for return?

Post by shermer-high »

Anyone using the factory Beetle in tunnel fuel line for a return line? I know the Subaru is 5/16 and my VW has 1/4 but I just figured if I only need to run one line it would be a bit easier. I already ran it in stainless years ago when the tunnel was apart.
Piledriver

Re: Anyone use the VW fuel line for return?

Post by Piledriver »

Yes. VW did it like that on later models, 6mm plastic fuel line for return.
I'm not talking about just t1s, I mean all later models.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I understand the idea but I think I would be very careful here.

Remember a bug is a pretty old vehicle and metal does wear, can be chemically "infected" (couldn't think of a better word), age becoming brittle as well as other things; e.g., if you can't inspect it be careful on how you use it. As far as I know, fuel lines now days are controlled a bit more than they use to be and not allowed in the pass compartment (which I have on my blue buggy :oops: ) or even running within a tube. I think they have to be run in a (at least semi) protected way too.

For what it is worth.

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

shermer-high wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:44 am Anyone using the factory Beetle in tunnel fuel line for a return line? I know the Subaru is 5/16 and my VW has 1/4 but I just figured if I only need to run one line it would be a bit easier. I already ran it in stainless years ago when the tunnel was apart.
I've been using the stock line as a return on my buggy for 7 years and 36,000 miles. I'm turboed and have dynoed at 187 whp at 20.5 Lbs. boost. I'm now at about 24 lbs. plus and still no issues with fueling.
I did install a 5/16ths steel line through the tunnel for the pressure line. It's supplying enough fuel for needs so far. It's a 94 Volvo 940 turbo fuel pump with a Golf pressure side filter.

Back view of install.....

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Piledriver wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:25 am Yes. VW did it like that on later models, 6mm plastic fuel line for return.
I'm not talking about just t1s, I mean all later models.
Type 3?
A fuel injected Beetle had two steel 8mm fuel lines.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

T3 era were 7mm steel, the early cis setups were mostly steel, but all the 90s up water cooled cars used 6mm nylon for feed and returns.
I'd like to know exactly what nylon they used as it rocks pretty hard, tough as hell.
I'd run that in a hearbeat, although Id probably do all 8mm for fitting availability.
I need to buy a 50' roll to redo my Vanagon and 914.
(914 has steel brake line 5/16" and 3/8" so its probably OK for awhile)
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

I used the stock return also.no problem s
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If you have to run new line, the nicopp line comes in 25' rolls in all the usual sizes, can be hand formed, and can be used for brake line, oil lines etc.
Very easy to work with.
Used to be quite expensive but that was mostly middle-man markup...Amazon has it at a very reasonable price, either NICOPP or 4LIFETIMELINES.
(the 1/2" gets a little pricey)