Hints for installing successfully install a windshield seal?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Jimbo70

Hints for installing successfully install a windshield seal?

Post by Jimbo70 »

I just cracked the used windshield I going to install in my Fastback while installing the seal. This puts me at 1 for 3 lifetime on Type 3 windshield installations, and the one successful attempt was the original gouged windshield that came with the car. I've now purchased a new windshield from EISparts.com, and need a pep talk before this thing arrives.

I'm using an ISP West seal with the molding groove. I let it soak in hot water for a half hour to make the rubber pliable, but I still ended with a crack when the seal was 80% on. I guess the basic question is where do I start with the seal so I'm not putting too much stress on the glass while trying get the seal over that last part. Part of the problem could be that used windshields can get little chips around the edge if they aren't stored properly.

Help!
69SQBCK

windshield

Post by 69SQBCK »

Make sure you use a good seal lubricant while installing any glass in the car. You need two people to do this job. One to hold the winsheild and gently apply pressure to thelp you rope the seal in.
aircoolnut

Post by aircoolnut »

hope this reply finds that you were successfull on your windshield install. I too cracked the glass on the one and only one that I attempted many years ago. Last year however, we did do a baywindow bus with no trouble. The glass on it has a pretty good curve too. The trick to getting the rubber around the glass was just to let the rubber lay out in the sun for about an hour. Went around the glass with no trouble.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Bug windshields require only two people(flat), curved ones such as buses and T3s really should be done with three. As Nut said, sit in a chair in the sun with the windshield inside part facing you across your knees. Install the seal and rope or twine around the edges and gently set it out for another 10 to 20 minutes in the sun. Clean the edges of the frame on the car if you have to. Spray a little simple green cleaner around the seal where it will make contact with the frame, this really helps to get things to slide into place. Have two people on the outside gently set the glass in the frame. Have them keep even but firm pressure at all times, ABSOLUTELY DON'T BOUNCE OR TRY TO FORCE IT INTO PLACE BY VARYING PRESSURE, this is what breaks the glass. LET THE ROPE DO ALL THE WORK PULLING THE GLASS INTO PLACE. If the seal pops out for some reason too much, start over! If the seal doesn't clear afterwards at some places, like the corners, a plastic Audi/VW windshield tool really helps, these don't cost too much and look like a big clear plastic popsicle stick.
Jimbo70

Post by Jimbo70 »

aircoolnut wrote:hope this reply finds that you were successfull on your windshield install. I too cracked the glass on the one and only one that I attempted many years ago. Last year however, we did do a baywindow bus with no trouble. The glass on it has a pretty good curve too. The trick to getting the rubber around the glass was just to let the rubber lay out in the sun for about an hour. Went around the glass with no trouble.
Well, not quite. We attempted the new windshield with the same seal, but tried a wire instead of string to at least attempt to not butcher the seal. We got it about 80% in and the wire broke. I've ordered a Cal seal for the next attempt, but now it is too cold here in CT to try again. No worries though, I have plenty to work on with the new motor and everything. I'll try the windshield again in the Spring.
LesTroyer

Post by LesTroyer »

Bet tip I got was to find an old glass guy & slip them a C note.

LEs
aircoolnut

Post by aircoolnut »

Jimbo70 wrote:
aircoolnut wrote:hope this reply finds that you were successfull on your windshield install. I too cracked the glass on the one and only one that I attempted many years ago. Last year however, we did do a baywindow bus with no trouble. The glass on it has a pretty good curve too. The trick to getting the rubber around the glass was just to let the rubber lay out in the sun for about an hour. Went around the glass with no trouble.
Well, not quite. We attempted the new windshield with the same seal, but tried a wire instead of string to at least attempt to not butcher the seal. We got it about 80% in and the wire broke. I've ordered a Cal seal for the next attempt, but now it is too cold here in CT to try again. No worries though, I have plenty to work on with the new motor and everything. I'll try the windshield again in the Spring.
We also used wire when we installed the baywindow windshield, 18ga with the insulation. Your on the right track. Good luck :!:
jasle

Post by jasle »

not sure if you'd consider it a super tip but I've done a few type 3's with some advice i read in a mag bout 15 years ago.

heat the seal whatever way you do...water sun ect. install the seal on window. should not be all that hard if the seal is right.

wrap around the window TWICE with waxed twine.
if you miss part of the seal the first time you have another pass.
no pressure.
With the waxed twine you can spray some window cleaner on it to make it slide better as you go.
david58

Post by david58 »

If it best to put the window in around the head liner first?
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
wildside

Post by wildside »

twice wrapping with a thin rope will work, last time i did a window install i used 2 very thin gauge insulated wires.....
as far as lube.... The BEST is waterless PUMACE FREE hand soap... again...PUMACE FREE! Once you're done it makes for a very easy cleanup.

1.go slow
2. have someone give mild pressure on the glass from the outside of the car while you're inside doing the rope.
3. get yourself a tupperware orange peeler (unless you have vinyl install stick) to assist seal install/placement
jmitch17

Post by jmitch17 »

Hey all I have yet to break a type 3 windshield. Here is what I do.
1. It takes 3 people
2. 18 gauge wire with a heavier outer coating more like home wire
3. ** Most important** Lubricate the inner lip that will be set up against the frame grabbing point. The best thing that I have ever used is "KY Jelly" personal lubricant. That's right finally a use for you and your car the true love of your life. It is water solvable and does not get sticky quick like soap. I will also put a little in the channel where you put the wire.
4. If you are breaking wire then you must be pushing to hard from the outside pinching the wire. You don't have to push hard at all.
The only time that you have to give the glass a good flat handed smack or 2 is after you have the bottom lip on to get the glass to shift down.
Hope this helps.
david58

Post by david58 »

Here is a factory video of how it is done on a bug.
Iowavw_217 wrote:At about 7:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCojp22cj8
builtbychevy

Re: Hints for installing successfully install a windshield s

Post by builtbychevy »

Vaseline! I use it on every seal and gasket that doesn't get hylomar or something. I even use it on my carburetor gaskets and air filters
My Store: http://www.DirtyRacingAndRods.com
My Blog: http://blog.dirtyracingandrods.com/

If you can't run from John Law with it... It ain't no good!
gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg »

My hint - I pay a professional to do it, that way if it breaks, I get a replacement.
Dealer for Alloy Wheels & Period H4s and Fog/Driving Lights

http://www.greggearhead.com
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Weedeater string and liquid hand soap, dawn etc also work.

The waxed twine sounds good but have never found a local source.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.