Sure. I'll go down tomorrow.
Max Welton

Re: Going under the knife

Post by Max Welton »

image0000001.jpg
image0000011.jpg
image0000001_.jpg
image0000011_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

image0000021_.jpg
image0000031.jpg
image0000021.jpg
image0000051.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

image0000071.jpg
image0000061.jpg
Howzat?

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

you are awesome, great photos, thank you!
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

This car looked pretty good when I bought it. Having seen how much rust there was from the leaky rear window has really changed how I look at cars at shows.

Any tips on how to ensure that the windows don't leak after all this is done?

Max
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Max Welton wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:40 pm
Any tips on how to ensure that the windows don't leak after all this is done?

Max
This is an ongoing Big Question Max. New sealing materials don't always do the job one thinks they will do or the glass isn't put in perfectly of the seal isn't set right or the join of the ends of the seal are not perfect.

Sealing the joins from top and bottom so no air or moisture can get in even before final paint probably is the best idea but then you are dealing with inanimate objects, and you know how much respect they will give you... they don't say anything just act up :wink: :lol: .

You can put it in the garage and never move it outside or never clean it and you will get rust just from the air. You also give out moisture when you breathe, this alone is enough to make you even want to start a restoration like you are doing (your job looks pretty good so far. Keep it up!).

Lee
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

On the day I dropped it off I told Robert that I was going to test it with a hose when he was done. Not a show car. ;-)

The car is intended to be a driver and there's no guarantee of nice weather if I'm going cross country. It needs to be a functional car in all respects.

The seals are all new from ISP and are the trim type. New trim, also from ISP. I guess how they fit the glass and the car will be key. The owner of the business seems to have some ideas for some product that can be used between the seal and the window channel that may help. Needs to keep any water out but still allow for removal if I need to replace a window. Maybe something silicone based?

Max
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The whole subject isn't a complete thing. If you watch any of the TV car rebuild shows they primer, sand, paint, sand and so on both the body and the frame using rotisseries with the other components also being painted on stands or hanging at the same time.

When you get parts they almost always come in with a protective coating on them but one is not guaranteed that the coating is the best so off-it comes and a clean up is needed then a series of different types of primer are/can be then added.

If you are going to spot weld then a weld through primer might be a good idea to use. Holes are primer' d and painted prior to being clamped together. The whole subject is almost ad infinitum in length, detail and the amount of work needed.

The seals, if they are good, flexible (when needed), installed correctly along with the glass, that takes a lot of the worry away.

You also have to work on the door seals. If you notice that the area around the front of door and the windshield area is a very common place for metal rot and there are quite a few standard other locations in most vehicles.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Max, I didn't mean so sound so negative but I had just watched a program where they were talking about cars having been professionally rebuilt and stored in special heated storage facilities that had been rebuilt more than once and were being brought in for another shot at it. Also, not all rebuilt cars were rebuilt in the proper ways; e.g., cheap junk style of rebuilds.

Keep on the path you are heading as it looks like you are going in the right direction.

Lee
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

No worries Lee.

I'm 64 now so I've got maybe 20 more driving years in me. And I'm now retired and have a perfectly good vehicle for winter use and for purposes for which this car is not suited, like hauling and towing things.

My participation in the hobby is all about driving adventures either with friends or to visit friends.

I don't expect to build a car that will last forever. It only needs to outlast me. :D

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Just got back from a banzai run to Carson CA and came back with this treasure:
20200625_092811.jpg
It's made almost entirely of unobtainium.

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Robert has been uploading progress pictures to Google Photos. Allegedly anyone with the link can view the album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qfk3DkhpzR2FFH318

Can someone verify that?

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You have been busy ;-)

Link works for me.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Thanks!

Mainly I've been busy being a squeaky wheel. Make sure the project doesn't get pushed in a corner every time an insurance job comes in. My job at this stage is to be a pest and occasionally bring more money.

Meanwhile I'm collecting other parts the car needs. Just got some 66-67 only front armrests that are very nice. Looking for a set of rear armrests to match. And a rear seat-back that has the center armrest. Lots of stuff like that.

Max