inside heater

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
72beetle

inside heater

Post by 72beetle »

I have an alt and want to put in a electric heater. what are some good ones to use that mount underneeth the dash? are there any good web sites out there for this kind of thing? thanks ahead for any replies

------------------
1972 beetle Std. 1776cc engine, 110 cam, Tri-Mil Eurosport single-Tip Exhaust. duel Kadrons. 1/4 mile: yet to be determined.

My other car is a 2000 Grand Prix GTP 3.8 Super Charged. 1/4 time: 14.1 @ 95.08 MPH
72beetle

Post by 72beetle »

I am still wondering!!! LOL
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

you want heat for your car huh? :shock: :wink: :lol:

200 amp alternator and a direct wire ceramic heater or two might just keep it toasty in there, about $400 for the alt (not counting special mounts and such) and about $200 for each heater. the stock Alt MIGHT be able to power a single unit, but it may be a heavy strain at a stop light, depending on the size of the heater

Google "12v electric car heater" or something like that and you'll find a feww good places for info.
dping28

Post by dping28 »

Where can someone find that 200amp alt?
myolbug

Post by myolbug »

500LbGorilla

Post by 500LbGorilla »

I have that model. It works pretty well unless you just have to have blasting hot heat right now. Give it a few mins and it works pretty well. It would not be enough in zero degree weather though, and certainly can't defrost your windows.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

dping28 wrote:Where can someone find that 200amp alt?
just about any audio supplier, or Summit Racing, notice I said not counting the specials mounts and extras, the 200 amp alt would have to be an add on, like an AC unit. I don't believe they make a VW 200 amp Alt.
dping28

Post by dping28 »

Ahh ok Thought you were talking about a specific one .. Thanks! :)
mnsKmobi

Post by mnsKmobi »

72beetle wrote:I am still wondering!!! LOL
3 years waiting - now that's patient! :lol:
72beetle

Post by 72beetle »

lol
d_fault

Post by d_fault »

I've been considering doing this exact same thing, my approach was going to be, to use a power inverter, 1800 - 2000watts(yes they can be expensive, but if you shop around, one can be had for $100 - 125). For the heater, I'm going to use a 1500 - 1800 Watt hairdryer. I know when my wife uses hers, the freakin bathroom (which is much larger than the interior of my bug) goes up an easy 5 to 8 degrees in the short time she has it on. To vary the heater output, use a dimmer for a Ceiling fan light, make sure you get a heavy duty unit though, the regular dimmers are only rated for 600watts. Then again you could always add a small CPU sized fan to cool the scr.
A 1500Watt hairdryer would use 12.5Amps at full blast ( 1500w / 120 vac = 12.5, 1800w / 120vac =15amps.
So even figuring $150-pwr inverter, $25-hairdryer, $ 30-dimmer, $10-wiring the end result is $215 - $220 you'd have decent heat, at the least being able to SEE out the windows on those cold mornings would be worth it enough for me.....

- my financed .02
-Art
Ohio Dave

Post by Ohio Dave »

Your math is correct that the hairdryer will draw 12.5 to 15 amps, but since the inverter is converting 12 volts to 120 volts, it will draw ten times that current.

So your car would have to be able to supply 125 to 150 amps to the inverter. That would take a pretty hefty alternator.

This all shows why electric cars are so limited; a little bit of gasoline goes a long way in producing heat and power compared with electrical energy.
lennytee

Post by lennytee »

I know this topic has a long history, but here goes... If you want electric heat check around at local truck stops like Petro, Pilot, Flying J, T/A, etc..Most of them carry small auxilliary heaters for big trucks. They either plug into a 12v accessory plug (like a cigarette lighter) or larger ones that wire directly to the battery. I have one that draws about 20amps in my bug. Its mounted right next to the steering column and blows warm air right on me. It doesn't get the interior real warm, but it makes the commute to work and back bearable. Mind you, we don't have a lot of freezing-ass weather here, nasty winter days are like 40 degrees and rain, very little snow & ice. If you gotta get out and go when its like zero, invest in a good gas heater.
The Noof

Post by The Noof »

That gives a continuos draw of 22 [email protected] volt. Not out of line if you have the 55A or bigger alternator.
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

In walmart they have small heaters that work off a cigarrreett lighter.

I use to use a gas heater and good luck with your life, Fumes, smoke small of gas ehaust. It was vented outside.I wish, I could find a nice propane heater. Maybe I will build one from those small camp stove units. Hook up a electric start, booom your toasty.

A trip to the junk yard for electrical parts for heated seats might due.

A electric blanket hooked up to the garage plug and a timer if needed.

A well fed saint bernard in the back seat is a option! ok I will stop for now Nobodys paying for the jokes anway.

Living in Maine, growing up with beatles in the family has been fun. A scraper , cans of dry gas{3 for a buck}and window deicer is the stand stocking stuffer. Merry Xmas user name Jeff Barnes :P :lol: