Report from the southern Oregon Dunes

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: Report from the southern Oregon Dunes

Post by Leatherneck » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:17 pm

Welcome back to you other home Lee.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:28 pm

Leatherneck wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:17 pm
Welcome back to you other home Lee.
:oops: :lol: .

The group that was with us wasn't the whole group as this was to get some dune time but also to fix a lot of things. I did get the buggy running but the MC was empty so no brakes. I have to move some electronics so I can get the hood off when I want to access the MC. Should have done it a long time ago but back then I could bend easier so I could access things in tight a lot better.

Lee

Dougstr

Post by Dougstr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:49 pm

Glad you got home safe!

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:41 am

Thanks Doug. I am still very tired though! :D

Lee

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:03 pm

Got down to the dunes awhile ago. Very windy right now and it may be so tomorrow. Otherwise, the sun is out, the sky is blue and the air doesn't stink.

Made good time until we got almost to Reedsport on highway 38 where we ran into a head on collision. One car was flipped over the top of the crash barrier and landed upside down, in the trees, on the edge of the river without damaging the barrier too much. The other car had the passenger side fender and hood pushed back to the firewall. From what we were told everyone involved were OK but taken into town for a checkup.

Lee

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:31 pm

The sun has been out all day along with a pretty blue sky. The wind has been up also and from several sources, both the dune and the ocean beach are smooth and so comfortable to ride on.

There is the possibility of a heavy fog tomorrow.

Lee

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:58 am

The fog didn't show up and the weather was pretty nice. It is supposed to be in the hi 60s or low 70s through Friday.

I haven't been out on the dunes yet but have been told that the day use and camping areas are packed.

Talked to a guy from CA who said Pismo beach is closed which (I guess) is why he is up here.

We went into town and HWY 101 and traffic on it and into Reedsport and Coos Bay was very heavy for down here. Maybe the traffic will drop after this weekend but not sure.

Lee

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:39 pm

Mild but mostly sunny days. The temps are thought to be in the mid to high 60 and maybe into the low 70s. Possibility of rain on Friday.

The dunes are quiet now but it was pretty busy over the weekend. HWY 101 was bumper to bumper early Sunday AM with people heading home.

Lee

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:24 pm

Had some rain during the night but it cleared up pretty much. A mix of clouds and sunny day. Sun for the weekend then some mixed clouds and sun for the rest of the week. Fairly quiet out on the sand today but did see a lot of toys come in.

Heading home tomorrow.

Lee

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:28 pm

Got back home last night after a almost 7 hour drive with only potty stops and one gas stop. I don't remember having seen so many RVs; motorhomes and trailers, both long and short plus toys being towed or trailered plus just normal car traffic on the Oregon part of I-5 heading south as we did yesterday. HWY, when we were on it was surprisingly empty.

A lot of duners' in the camping areas and on the dunes also. I wonder if the feds and maybe the local law enforcement is going to crack down on exhaust before too long as it sounds like they are trying to get as loud as they can. Even the duners' were complaining on the speeding (and I mean fast too) through the trails. I didn't get out as I finally found the brake problem I am having but need some additional bleeding parts as the discs have dual bleeding valves per wheel. I also needed some help as it isn't a one person job.

Lee

Dougstr

Post by Dougstr » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:17 pm

Lee, next time you come down if you need some help I am only about thirty miles from Saunders lake.

Have a great day

Doug

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:38 pm

Heading to the dunes tomorrow. Not sure if I am happy about it though as it is going to be a working only trip. Been raining a lot here, even had a power outage for a while today too but I think the Coos Bay/North Bend area weather is supposed to be nice. A 400 mile, 7/8 hour drive.

Lee

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:50 am

Made it in record time (maybe!). Left in wet weather... a rainy fog then a damp fog through Seattle then things slowly got better.

Didn't see as much in the way of sand toys coming into the area or leaving but we did see a new thing being done and that was to mount toys on a rack in the bed of the truck with the toy sitting on top at an angle. My guess would be that what looked to be the short side-by-sides and/or quads with or without cages had their noses to be close to 10' high (a guess on that dimension but they looked to be close to that high or higher). I had seen a couple of them I-5 on the way down but when going down HWY38 to get to the coast (HWY 101 I saw several more of that setup.

There is a fairly new fad to put tents on top of off-road stuff (a cage) and this looks to be a carry-on of that. What it looks like is there is a fold down track that allows one to drive the "toy" up and onto the truck with the front end over the top of the cab.

Lee

chuckput

Post by chuckput » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:13 pm

Lee, I have seen those racks down here in California (I've seen two-seat sand rails on the backs of trucks). I think that they are popular is due to the California speed limit for vehicles pulling trailers (55 mph). If you are just going out with your ride for the day you can get there faster. :-)

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:37 pm

chuckput wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:13 pm
Lee, I have seen those racks down here in California (I've seen two-seat sand rails on the backs of trucks). I think that they are popular is due to the California speed limit for vehicles pulling trailers (55 mph). If you are just going out with your ride for the day you can get there faster. :-)
I am sure you are right about that. When we were Snow birding (2017 was the last year we did it) we were well aware of the speed limit in CA. Got us where we were going later but probably much safer but got to admit, it leery with all the other clowns flying by us at speeds well over posted limits (I wonder if our slower speeds took away from their higher speeds so it averaged all things to be even :roll: :lol: .

What bothered me the most was that they seemed to be on trucks that already "jacked up" to where the lower sills of the body were even with or above the axles putting the center of gravity very high up :shock: (gave me the "willies") especially at speeds they were traveling at. I do the speed limit and often with a little bit of "pocket change thrown in" but not usually that fast.

Lee