STF stickers? had some way back when....

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
dustymojave

Re: STF stickers? had some way back when....

Post by dustymojave »

I vastly prefer to communicate on forums such as STF with the information remaining available for as long as the forum remains active, over FB where the information exchanged is very much "of the moment". There is no organization like there is here, no categories of discussion. Just talk.

For instance: The SoCal Bajas group that formed out of the offroad forums on TOS, and there are members on here, From the time that Jeff Laine started the SoCal Bajas Forum until the group migrated over to Facebook, I read every single post in that entire forum, every sub category of it. Every discussion. And was involved in most all of them. But since it was taken over to FB, I very rarely visit and you really can't go back to look up some info that somebody shared.

I agree with what Doc said about not wanting this to degrade into a chatroom. Each has its place, and Facebook serves its purposes. But it most certainly is NOT the same.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

I agree with Dusty. I have joined several Baja Bug based groups on FB and they are fun for sharing pictures and where you have been and what you have been doing, but when it comes to getting expert advice on some facet of wrenching on my Bug or help solving a problem, nothing beats the Shop Talk Forums. In addition, I can search the forums to see if someone else has dealt with an issue I am having before throwing out there for all to see. You can't do that on FB.
ninelives17

Post by ninelives17 »

I still don't have facebook, don't plan on getting it either.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Thx to all for comments. And I appreciate the kind words which reflect what I have always wanted STF to be - a technical forum and library. In spite of the huge reach of the new generalized web sites, I am inclined to stick pretty closely to what we have. I am most grateful to those members who have shared their expert knowledge and experience.

Other points of view welcome.