Wayne’s Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: Wayne’s Build

Post by Leatherneck »

chuckput wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:36 pm
MonyPwrRes wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:42 am So the dash piece is made by a company AEM it’s a single plug into your ECU that in return gives you all your vital date, RPM, Coolant Temp, Battery charging level, Oil pressure, check eng light, oil press etc... Basically an all in one customizable dash display with 22 sensors that you can program for anything from TPMS sensors to compression. The cool part is that you set limits on the sensors and it those thresholds are crossed when driving it takes over the entire screen and lets you know something is up. I’ve been driving my old Baja for over 9 years with an idiot light and no gages, this one will be a Cadillac in the dirt in comparison. Picking up more goodies since I’m locked in the house with the internet at my fingertips. Dangerous 😂

Dash link to see all it has to offer: https://www.aemelectronics.com/products ... h-displays
Put your glasses on David! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seeet!!!
MonyPwrRes

Post by MonyPwrRes »

Up Dates 24 inches of rear travel I’m a happy camper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

That is going to be a nice ride for sure, have you heard it startup yet?
MonyPwrRes

Post by MonyPwrRes »

I start it every night before I go to bed in my head. Revvving, very soon it will come alive. Once this lockdown is done it should be all together, just needing full wiring, and a few other things before it gets a shakedown
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Very nice, Wayne!
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I'm surprised I'm not seeing updates on this. Although I know there are updates on the SoCal Bajas faceboook page.

My son Warren has worked with Rick at Crumco since he was a freshman in High School. He's now 26 and while he has worked at Lance RV building RVs for 6 years, he often works with Rick on the side. Since Lance shut down for the Corona Virus, Warren has worked with Rick full time.

Warren has been telling me about a car he was putting a lot of work into that he thought was building into a really sweet car. He referred to it as "Wayne's Baja". I didn't know "Wayne who". Warren kept telling me I should go over and see the car. And I hadn't talked to Rick Crumb since shortly after his wife Chrystal passed away. I knew they were VERY close and that she was an important part of Crumco. I wanted to visit Rick and see how he was getting along and Warren kept mentioning that Rick had a new girlfriend I should meet. But then as the car was getting close to done, Warren mentioned "Wayne Bosley", and then I knew exactly who's car he was talking about. But while I've known of Wayne and his close friend Mano through SoCal Bajas for years, I'd never actually met either of them.

Recently, I was working on freshening up the rear stub axle bearings and CVs in my Baja. Generally, assembling CVs is not a big deal, messy, but not difficult. But once in a while, especially if they're new and tight, they get obnoxious about going together. These are far from new, but don't show much wear. There came a point when both CVs for the left rear just WOULD NOT go along with my program. They were fighting me and just DID NOT want to go together. It got to a point where I was thinking of putting a BFH into my Baja. So, I decided to pick up and close my garage and head over to Rick's for a break.

I got there and found that Rick is getting along pretty well and I'm sure much of that is his new lady, who seems sweet and much is keeping busy with Crumco.

So I got to see Wayne's car and learned that Wayne was on his way to pick it up. Lot of things I like about it. A friend has a 4 seat buggy with a Honda V6 (technically Acura, as it's out of an NSX) and I've driven that car many times over the last 15+ years with never an engine problem other than some computer issues and it eats lots of 091 gearboxes. So I like Wayne's choice of powerplant and trans too. I took a few pics while I was there and helped Wayne and Mano load the car onto the trailer.

When I got home and started back at the CVs, they went right together, no fight :roll: :roll: .

I've since been pleased to learn that not only was Wayne thrilled with his new Baja, quiet, hardly said a word Mano is apparently so excited about it, that Warren has already been working on getting things together to start building one for Mano. I don't know if it will include the roof-top tent like Mano's.
20200509_152551_800x600.jpg
20200509_152558_800x600.jpg
20200509_152602_800x600.jpg
1st pic is right after we set the tent on top of the car. Wayne, on the other side, and Rick with his back to the camera are bolting it in place. Warren and I had just put on the clamps at the rear. So Warren has stepped back. 2nd pic shows the radiator in front. the frame tubes are the radiator lines. 3rd pic is the hood with it's LED backlit VW logo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

A couple more pics.
20200509_152618_800x600.jpg
20200509_153226_800x600.jpg
1st pic is a Rear view with the tent for treks like the Mojave Road.

2nd pic is the front. In this shot the VW logo is off as it had only been temporarily mocked up with masking tape.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Thanks for the pics and info Dusty, that’s pretty cool.
Dougstr

Post by Dougstr »

Curious to know how you like the rooftop tent? The car looks like a fun ride!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Doug, don’t get them started. They were up there in their tents looking down on us peasants, laughing at us in the dirt.
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

SLACKER WE NEED UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Well?
MonyPwrRes wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:03 pm I start it every night before I go to bed in my head. Revvving, very soon it will come alive. Once this lockdown is done it should be all together, just needing full wiring, and a few other things before it gets a shakedown
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

Baja5 and Myself are heading up to Wayne's at 11 to do some final shift linkage adjustments along with a once over and then That Bad Bitch will be ready for the Dirt!!!!!!!!!!!
Stay Tuned........... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Tell Wayne we want to see one of his famous videos.
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

She is ready for the Dirt! Pictures do not do her justice. Congrats Wayne she is Beautiful Great job