Little help from my friends.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Little help from my friends.

Post by Leatherneck »

I’m desperate or wouldn’t ask. I’ve known you all in STF for a long time loss of words so I’ll get right to it. My Father is medically in a bad way. If you’re the praying type and I hope you are please say one for my fathers health. Thank you!
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Little help from my friends.

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Both of you got it!

Lee
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Praying, David!
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Me too. Hang in there.
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

Prayers sent Brother!!
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Oh man, as always lots of love and positive thoughts headed your way!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Any updates?
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Thank you all for the prayers and thoughts, updates? My father had Melanoma on his skin, it wasn't tested, went to his lung then broke loose and to his brain were it clotted then ruptured then clotted, my father fought the good fight but in the end he lost. In the end his HR was 150-180 for 2 days and nights, like running a marathon for 2 days, he was on oxygen and other then that it was pure will. The second day I knew it was all will as he had already gone so we took off the oxygen so he would breath on his own. The medical staff tried their best but they said nothing else they could do and made him comfortable as possible, he was never alone and had our Mother, my two brothers and wife's, my two kids and Angie there with him to the end. It was tough, tough to write about. He was/is my Hero, mentor and friend, will miss his hugs and talks, his phone calls and yes him getting on to me when I screw up even as old as I am. Not to much can bring me to my knees but this got me. Thank you guys for caring, for listening.
IMG_3056.JPG
IMG_3057.JPG
IMG_3055.JPG
IMG_1707.JPG
IMG_1127.JPG
IMG_1033.jpg
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

David, my dad passed away in '92 and I loved him dearly. He taught me so much about being a good husband by the way he loved my mother and how to be a good father by how he raised my siblings and myself. He taught me how to fix things and build things - he built the house I grew up in, he was a certified Evinrude Outboard mechanic, and a metal shop teacher. There are times I will open my mouth and say something to my students or my children and I hear my dad's voice. I have his old drill press and lathe in my shop and I cannot help thinking of him every time I use them. The legacy of our parents lives through us and we are better people because of it.

Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction
and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
They are a garland to grace your head
and a chain to adorn your neck.
-Proverbs 1:8 - 9

May the comfort of the Lord find you in your times of sorrow.

Chuck
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

My thought are with you and your family now. I lost my father many years ago. He just finished a handball game, came into the dressing room then collapsed and that was about it. My mother went about 10 years ago and we were there for her passing; she too was a special person.

The memories and lessons still exist but I have no one to pass them onto as I didn't have any children.

Take care and don't forget.

Lee
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

David,

My sincerest condolences. My dad has been gone 15 years now. I think of him every day. Family is everything.

"There's a land that is fairer than day. And by faith we can see it afar. For the Father waits over the way. To prepare us a dwelling place there.
In the sweet by and by. We shall meet on that beautiful shore. In the sweet by and by. We shall meet on that beautiful shore."
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Guys I really appreciate it. You guys, the core guys of the Off-Road forum and doc are my family too, I've laughed, cussed at broken parts, talked and had good times on line and in person with many of you, that is why I have shared this moment with you, you are my family too.

Man I thought I was tough, not so much!
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Leather - I haven't been on here much as of late. Just read about about your Dad. My heartfelt sympathy for you and your family on his passing. As you mentioned - no words.
Skid
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
mgirdner

Post by mgirdner »

David,
Words fail to ease the sting.
Clearly, your dad was a wonderful man.
I never knew him, but I see the stellar character he instilled in you and that speaks volumes to his legacy.

I love you brother.

When my father passed, I hung on to the lyrics of Dan Fogelberg's song "The Leader of the Band":

...He earned his love through discipline
A thundering, velvet hand
His gentle means of sculpting souls
Took me years to understand

...I thank you for the kindness
And the times when you got tough
And, papa, I don't think I said
'I love you' near enough

The leader of the band is tired
And his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through my instrument
And his song is in my soul

My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man
I'm just a living legacy
To the leader of the band

I am a living legacy to the leader of the band
Lurking in Covina, CA since 2002
  • '69 Baja
  • '73 Thing
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Thank you guys, still find myself thinking I’ll call Papa and ask him this or that question. Not as hard as it was but it isn’t easy.

I am a living legacy to the leader of the Band. Very nice!