NEED HELP PICKING COILOVER SHOCKS FOR 1973 TYPE 1 CLASS 5-1600

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Built_2_dream

NEED HELP PICKING COILOVER SHOCKS FOR 1973 TYPE 1 CLASS 5-1600

Post by Built_2_dream »

Hey everyone im currently building a class 5/1600 bug and dont have the brains to know the type or length of coil-over shocks i should be running on the rear and front,,,

-On the rear im currently installing 3x3 tubular arms and need a coilover, that ill be running through the wheel well to the inside roll cage, also be running 31x10.50r15 tires on both ends front and rear--anyone have any thought of what size coilover ill need...
-On the front i have a 3inch wider warrior beam with 10'' shock towers and 4''x1'' control arms and also need advice to what coilovers ill need to run as well.

Any advice helps.. thankyou :D
CentralWAbaja

Re: NEED HELP PICKING COILOVER SHOCKS FOR 1973 TYPE 1 CLASS 5-1600

Post by CentralWAbaja »

1st off welcome!

There is lots of info still locked within these old pages although not all the photos have remained. The search is your friend. As far as advise....you are are building a pretty straight forward baja bug that has been done many times. However you are not in the 5-1600 category with 3x3's and long front arms so be careful as you put yourself in that box as you ask for advise. 5-1600 is +1" front and rear on the suspension. My advise is to call Sonny at Downsouth Motorsports he can get you in the ballpark and will be your best price on Fox and King if you want to go that route
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Re: NEED HELP PICKING COILOVER SHOCKS FOR 1973 TYPE 1 CLASS 5-1600

Post by Leatherneck »

Built_2_dream wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:47 pm Hey everyone im currently building a class 5/1600 bug and dont have the brains to know the type or length of coil-over shocks i should be running on the rear and front,,,

-On the rear im currently installing 3x3 tubular arms and need a coilover, that ill be running through the wheel well to the inside roll cage, also be running 31x10.50r15 tires on both ends front and rear--anyone have any thought of what size coilover ill need...
-On the front i have a 3inch wider warrior beam with 10'' shock towers and 4''x1'' control arms and also need advice to what coilovers ill need to run as well.

Any advice helps.. thankyou :D
So what did you do? Hmmm, pictures?