Nevada Run - Sept 2020

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Skidmark

Nevada Run - Sept 2020

Post by Skidmark »

For those who are interested, I am planning a run over several days from my home near Lake Tahoe. It will consist of three separate runs, on three different days - Sept. 10 - 12. One run will be on the ridge trail on the east side of the Lake Tahoe basin. This will include a short hike to the crest of Genoa Peak for those who want to witness a 360 degree view of the entire Lake Tahoe, Carson City, and Carson Valley areas. Another will be across the Pine Nut mountains, which borders the east side of the Carson Valley. The last one will be on the south end of the Pine Nut Mountains, to the top of Bald Mountain. Each day run will end up back at my place for some charred animal flesh and cold beverages. I have an acre lot, so there is plenty of room for trailers and rigs in a fenced in lot. All of the runs will get up to 9000 ft elev., so anyone wanting to go in a rig with carbontooters better plan accordingly (man, I love fuel injection!!). This will be posted on SoCal Bajas Facebook page as well.
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
Leatherneck

Re: Nevada Run - Sept 2020

Post by Leatherneck »

Skid, looks like it’s going to be a fun run. And yes for those running those pesky carbontooters beware they will have problems.

What kind of road trails are we looking at?
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Mostly maintained BLM trails, some loose shale (going down, not up), and a bit of everything in between. I would rate the trails mild to midland, nothing real severe. The run on the Tahoe ridge will involve about 30 minutes of highway to get to the trail head. License plates required for 2 of the three runs.

Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Decending through Red Canyon gets pretty narrow, and the growth in the middle of the trail indicates VERY little use. Expect brush scratches.

ninelives17

Post by ninelives17 »

This sounds like loads of fun, wish I lived closer. Hope everyone able to attend has a blast.
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

This does sound fun and worth trailering my bug up there. I mean my retirement begins June 13th - what else do I have going on? There is the issue of running dual "carbontooters. I would also have to sleep in a tent. I will have to give it some thought.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

I have a couple air mattresses and space in the house. On a first come, first serve, basis.
Last edited by Skidmark on Mon May 25, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgirdner

Post by mgirdner »

I'm IN!
Lurking in Covina, CA since 2002
  • '69 Baja
  • '73 Thing
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

My daughter and I are pre-running the largest run scheduled on Monday, July 13th. I still need to scout out some new trails to take as one of the scheduled trips isn't long enough. I have had a few interested, anyone else willing to commit?

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

You have heat in the garage, yes? What kind of temps will yOu be having? I am working on insulating the Cargo trailer but it still is what it is.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

In September we are usually in the 80's or 90's. Lows will be in the 50's. Unfortunately, the past week and a half has seen a massive wild fire run through the area that two of the runs are planned to go through. We are expecting full containment tomorrow, so the pre-run has been cancelled for that area. We should be able to still do the planned routes in September, but it won't look near as pretty. The wild fire is named The Numbers Fire - look it up if interested. Over 18K acres scorched. Bummer...

Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

This run is just over 4 weeks away. I am finally getting the longest run preran this Saturday. Should be interesting to see how bad the fire area is. So far I have around 6 cars coming up. If anyone is sitting on the fence, try to give me a heads up in far as advance as you can.

chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Skid,
I know I expressed interest earlier, I will have to pass.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Thanks for the feed back.