Happy New Year Shoptalkforums

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Happy New Year Shoptalkforums

Post by Leatherneck »

2020, what a year. Worked through it except for the 2 week knee jerk reaction to the China virus, Joe and Denny came over and made me a very happy Off-Roader, really appreciate all the help they did, couldn’t of done it without them. Turned 60, had Kidney stones that put me in the Hospital, got to see my 85 year old mother and on CHRISTmas Angie and I learned we will be Grandparents to my youngest daughters son. Life is good, really can’t complain. We are blessed to have the family and friends that we do.

How was your year STF?
bajaherbie

Re: Happy New Year Shoptalkforums

Post by bajaherbie »

It has been a chitty year but I have had a good year for my work. Bought a lot of new tools and a new to me F250 work truck. Got exposed to ronavirius but both were negative test results.

Made a deal to sell the baja today, it will be moving to Kansas in the next week. Automotive interests have taken a slight detour but I will continue to check in here. I have made some really good friends here.

Our plans are to move closer to our kids so they can take care of us!

No grand kids but our son has a beautiful puppy name Ruby.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

To say, "what a year" for 2020 is an understatement. I knew before the school year started that it would be my last and I was looking forward to all the end of year stuff and saying good bye to my students and colleagues. But that did not happen. We went on "Distance Learning" on March 17th and many of my students never bothered to show up. So I went quietly into retirement on June 13th. During the "lock down" my daughter and son-in-law blessed us with our second grandson on March 19th (Landon Charles) and then my son and daughter-in-law welcomed their first child into the world on September 14th (Desmond Rodriguez). Of course because of the pandemic, the grandparents had to wait to see the new blessings from God. Since my daughter and her husband live in town with us, we created our own Corona bubble and we have dinner with the little family almost every night. Daughter and wife are teachers and have been doing the distance learning faithfully, but SIL is a banker and has regular contact with the public and therein lies the problem. On November 19th the wife and I were diagnosed with the COVID-19. SIL and daughter were also positive, and to make matters worse, they visited my son and his wife in San Diego just before they were symptomatic and son and wife tested positive. All three grandsons passed through without symptoms for the most part.

Being retired has afforded me a lot more time to work on the bug (though the summer months here in the desert are not prime spend time in the garage time). I have a whole list of little improvements that I am currently working on - new rack and pinon, emergency brakes, and a Parker Pumper. I also got a pretty cool Christmas present from my wife that I will share here on STF tomorrow or Sunday.

Oh yeah David, I turned 64 at Thanksgiving.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Congrats on achieving those two milestones. Good job!

Lee
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Happy New Years Everyone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Happy New year all! I am so appreciative of the veteran STFers that continue to stop by. And there have been some great posts in recent months. STF, while not always the most active site, continues to bump along. Thanks to FJCamper and his man, Louis, who have helped with the tech side of the site. Things have run pretty smoothly.

Two grandkids now. They have been an unexpected joy the last three years. I turned 70 last month. Hard to believe. Hope everyone has a great and safe 2021!
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

We just finished (almost) our third year of retirement. Surprised how fast it has gone! We have no complaints, other that the clusterf$%k that was 2020. Watch out, it just turned 21 and now it will start drinking!!! 8)
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Hopefully it is a happy drunk
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

F'in' Herbie selling his Baja brought me back here to say "hey". I still lurk but don't post much here. It's a shame, cause there's still so much good info, and friends, here.

I'll be honest, my 2020 was really pretty good. Tons of work, my parents have stayed healthy and avoided the virus, still have a good group of close, mostly Utah based, friends that originated here on STF that I hang out with.

My Baja is in good shape, still running the ACE built 1915, though I have an EJ25 in the garage for when the day comes. I'm building a Beetle with an EJ22 right now. It's set up for street, but has an adjustable beam and I have a set of spare steelies I might throw some 7x15's on if I get tired of that lol.

I still help out with Bonneville Off-Road Racing, but I stepped back quite a bit two years ago. It's a lot more fun when you're not in charge!

Anyway, it's good to see some of the old gang is still here. STF was always my favorite forum!
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Happy new year everybody. I'm happy. Managed to stay healthy in 2020, and my family and friends mostly did too. That is most important. The place where I work is really kicking butt. Tons of work. We supply custom built tools to Intel, Samsung, Micron, Cree, etc. They are all ramping up big time, so we are too. I bought my house that I've been renting. The market is crazy in Boise. One of the fastest growing priced markets in the US. I'm pretty much recovered from my 2019 Divorce. that sucked.
Anyway!... Stay healthy everybody!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Doc, I smell what you’re stepping on and this time it’s good 😂😂. 70 now, wow good for you, we all should be happy to put another notch on our wrenches.

You bet thanks to all of the Veteran STFr’s and new blood for keeping this great site still humming along. You Tech guys we know we wouldn’t be here without you.