Turbo/EFI Baja

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
madmike

Re: Turbo/EFI Baja

Post by madmike »

I can see what you're trying to accomplish :wink:
we do this with a 'stroker' , but if you do something similar more power to ya :wink: 8)
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

We are all in same race reaching for the same goal line, my race just takes a different path.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Yepper, more than one way to skin a cat :lol:
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Definitely looking forward to your results. Good or bad, its gonna be a learning experience for sure. Excited to see someone else give it a go!
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

I’m also excited to see what happens.

I need to get my new MAP sensor delivered and installed!

Took the car for a test run with the 9b had an oil leak and popped some Intercooler piping apart. But I was showing 6lbs of boost 100% NA. So I cannot wait to get the new map sensor in.

Other then that I will try and start the mock up of the Holset more then I have so I can determine pipe cuts and what not. Though having the 9b mounted is half the battle.
buguy

Post by buguy »

At least you know it works. So your going to run it on just the 9b and see how it is before the compound?
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

buguy wrote:At least you know it works. So your going to run it on just the 9b and see how it is before the compound?
Yeah I wanted to see where the 9b feel off. Just trying to gather data more then anything.
buguy

Post by buguy »

For sure. I would too.
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

So I ran into some fabrication issues that I couldn’t address with out ripping lots of things apart.

I need to figure out my oil feed line solution. I am unsure where to get oil supply lines made to fit anyone have any more common places to get some made?

I am going to split the feed and push oil to both with separate drains so that isn’t the sticking point.

On the plus side I have almost all the tubing rough laid out and really just need to get the oil feed to the Holset so once everything is mocked up I can crush though welding it and have the car back up.

One last shot the wire was just a quick hold, sorry for the crappy photos not sure what happened there

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

From what I have read on Holset turbos...... is that they need a good -4 supply of oil and a -12 drain. That is a good bit more oil than the little -9b needs.
You should probably run a -4 feed to the Holset and then Tee off that with a -3 line to the -9b

Any good hose and fitting store will make up any hose you want. I have taken the fittings home to test fit them and mark the lengths along with clocking the fittings....then take them back to have them cut and pressed on.
Since working in our company shop on asphalt pavers in the winter for the last 4 years I've been able to get some experience on making up hydraulic hoses for them.
There are all kinds of fittings you can use. Go to any good Hose and Fitting store or even an AG tractor store might have a selection of fittings.
We have a whole wall of shelf bins of 3 or 4 different style of fittings along with sizes from -4 to -20 and they are straight, 45's and 90's.
If you can get one end to be a straight fitting then clocking is not an issue.
Most likely for you..... each end will need some sort of angle fitting which make clocking the fittings important since that type of hose will not twist very well once the fitting is crimped.

I use a Banjo fitting on the turbo end and a 90 on the engine side. I bought it from Samba/STF member HotStreetVW if I remember correctly. He works in the fitting industry.
I also have a brass Tee on my engine which I use for the turbo feed and the other spot is for my oil pressure sensor. If I ever went twin turbo I would just install another line on the Tee and move my oil pressure to my filter housing....or I could get turbo oil from the filter housing if that was a better run for the hoses.

Now I just go to the somewhat local "Industrial Supply Store" and have them make anything I need or I make them myself.

For the npt fitting you can convert from npt to JIC with a nice little straight fitting or 90 if needed. That allows you to connect the hose without having to turn the hose if you use a swivel fitting there.
I use swivels on both ends to be able to place the hose the best way and for ease of install and removal.

If you go to the Hose and Fitting Store they have rows and rows of bins with every fitting known to man. You can use your imagination and build whatever you desire and they will crimp it for you.

Get your hot and cold side fitted and plumbed first so you won't have to make multiple hoses.

Here is my oil line coming from the Tee on the engine.

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Man i don't remember. I just bought some off of some website premade. My first one was -4 and the second was -3.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Just did a quick Amazon search.
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

Thanks for the replies! I think I am going to try and find a hose and fitting store that is local as I need an adapter for the feed. Though I realized after reading clones post that I have a T installed already with a busted electric oil sending gauge so I can use that port for oil feed and drain it back to the fuel pump block off.

I took the car for a run and it runs good! Pushes 7 lbs (spring pressure) at around 2400/2800 rpm. I really need to sort out the MAP sensor issue to get some solid logs to post. Also I am just out side of boost at cruise and the gas pedal allows for effectively insta boost. Im in lust again with the turbo noises and the feel. I got used to the 13t and this is a welcome change. Also if this is a preview of performance to come then I am super motivated to see this get finished.

I need to change a few things on my set up like the waste gate and its pressure probably going to go with around 15lbs on spring and use the electric boost controller to modulate that to higher as needed and then leave the high pressure turbo at maybe six pounds I am not sure that is all to be decided as I get this thing going things are going to have to be fluid for a bit.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Sounds like your on the right track!
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Great progress! What size exhaust housing on your H1C? Very interested to see when the LARGE turbo starts to spool.
Keep up the good work and please ask if there are items you need.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.