Cheap ebay intercoolers (Now just my tuning thread)

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
madmike

Re: Cheap ebay intercoolers (Now just my tuning thread)

Post by madmike » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:51 am

when 'cruising' it should not be in boost :shock: should be in vacuum :wink:

Coyotemutt

Post by Coyotemutt » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:21 am

madmike wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:51 am
Well, cruising at a steady 75mph through the area I live in, it just doesn't happen. The hills in the pass are so steep that the rail line that goes through there is the steepest grade without cogs in the country.

If I let off enough to stay in vacuum I'd have to drive 35mph or something.

kangaboy

Post by kangaboy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:02 am

Coyotemutt wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:21 am
madmike wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:51 am
Well, cruising at a steady 75mph through the area I live in, it just doesn't happen. The hills in the pass are so steep that the rail line that goes through there is the steepest grade without cogs in the country.

If I let off enough to stay in vacuum I'd have to drive 35mph or something.
You're going to need to keep a close eye on your water reservoir if that the case. It's prolly gonna need to be filled more often than not if your system is spraying during cruise.
'74 Standard- 1776T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build

buguy

Post by buguy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:10 am

For sure. Pulling boost that long is going to create tons of heat.

Coyotemutt

Post by Coyotemutt » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:21 am

Yeah, I check it constantly. Fortunately it's just when I need to get out of my little village to get groceries (about once every 2 weeks). Otherwise I just drive around the forest roads.

Come to think of it, it might not have actually been that high. I had the line for the gauge running from the turbo housing. I've since moved the line to get my signal from below the butterfly. I'll have to go for a freeway drive sometime soon and find out.

Coyotemutt

Post by Coyotemutt » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:28 am

Alright. I got new needle and seat assemblies and it'll hold 12.5:1 all the way up. Even if the boost is turned up beyond what my water-meth can cool. (15psi)

Now I want to figure out why it goes 10:1 at the beginning of the main circuit. Basically if I'm toodling along at 55mph in 4th, it runs between 10 and 11 to 1 on the afr meter. Probably means more messing with the emulsion tubes.

Coyotemutt

Post by Coyotemutt » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:21 pm

Time to get this sucker put back together. Best guess for my last failure was actually oil starvation at high rpm. It's a little more complex than that, but that's what it boils down to.

I have meticulously checked and fixed every oil clearance, got everything very closely balanced, and just put the shortblock back together last night.

The new setup is going to be largely the same as before but with some minor fixes. I got some 2.0mm inlet valves for the Kadrons. I'm going to control timing with a CB black box. I've added in total seal second rings, gapped to .020" on both the 1st and second rings.

That's about it for now though. Eventually I'll have to bother you all for advice building an advance curve.