Cheap ebay intercoolers (Now just my tuning thread)

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Coyotemutt

Re: Cheap ebay intercoolers (Now just my tuning thread)

Post by Coyotemutt »

Clonebug wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:03 pm
Coyotemutt wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:38 pm 1gph nozzle is just a hair too little. I finally got to actually hear ping at the very top of third gear at 13psi and 5000 or so RPM. I'll just turn down the timing and the boost for now but I'll be saving pennies for a stronger pump. I think the 1gph nozzle would cover that last bit with a proper 150+ psi behind it.
Most nozzles will flow less with higher pressure.......at least my Devil's Own nozzles do.
1.0 gph is only good for the hp/rpm it supports. I would say it will do it's job until about 10 lbs. boost. At 13.0 lbs. you need a bigger nozzle or two smaller nozzles.
I run two nozzles staged at 4 lbs and 9 lbs........it's that way for a good reason....well, a couple good reasons.

At 13.0 lbs boost and 90 degree ambient temps your air temp coming out of the turbo will be right at 200*F. That is way too hot for a 1.0 gph nozzle to help.
You also should be running a good prefilter before the water pump along with very clean alcohol, distilled water and confirming that the nozzle isn't clogged. It would help to run a plastic tank too to make sure you don't get rust in the system.
All fittings need to be stainless, brass or plastic to keep from corroding.
Methanol is quite corrosive while Denatured Alcohol isn't quite as bad.....Who knows what that colored boost juice has in it.

I prefer to mix it myself so I know what I have......one gallon will go over 1000 miles with normal driving..... 700 miles with more spirited driving.
Got it! I already have a plastic reservoir, nylon lines, entirely brass or stainless fittings, etc. I checked the new injector for flow before installing.

Sounds like I'll just turn down the boost. 10 was the goal and if this setup achieves that, I'm good. It wouldnt cost much to add solenoids, a second hobbs switch, and run a second nozzle for anything over 9psi but it's time for me to stop spending money on my project for now.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Haha! I've heard that somewhere before! There is no stopping! It's like the Mob. Once your in... Your in!
panel

Post by panel »

Coyotemutt wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:33 am
Sounds like I'll just turn down the boost.
Saying stuff like that on this site will get ya banned.........j/k :lol:
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Coyotemutt

Post by Coyotemutt »

Couldn't I use this to switch between my smaller 1gph nozzle and a larger 4gph nozzle?

https://www.electricsolenoidvalves.com/ ... oid-valve/

I'm trying to find a solenoid that can allow flow to the smaller injector when no current is applied and then switch to a different path (to the larger injector) when current is applied.

If I can find such a solenoid, I can set up my secondary sprayer so cheaply there wont be any excuse not to. Just a second hobbs switch and a switching solenoid.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Coyotemutt wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:33 am
Sounds like I'll just turn down the boost.

''Said no man ever''

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A515F met Tapatalk

Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Coyotemutt wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:09 pm Couldn't I use this to switch between my smaller 1gph nozzle and a larger 4gph nozzle?

https://www.electricsolenoidvalves.com/ ... oid-valve/

I'm trying to find a solenoid that can allow flow to the smaller injector when no current is applied and then switch to a different path (to the larger injector) when current is applied.

If I can find such a solenoid, I can set up my secondary sprayer so cheaply there wont be any excuse not to. Just a second hobbs switch and a switching solenoid.
It's not much different to run two Hobbes switches and two solenoids. I've been doing that for quite a few years now and it works really well. Hobbes are 25 bucks each and a solenoid is about the same.
IMG_2160.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Coyotemutt

Post by Coyotemutt »

I managed to get a bit more squirt out of my 1gph nozzle. It seems to be a good fit now for ~11psi max pressure.

Now I'm tinkering with the advance curve on the boost retard canister and the spring tension.

I'm trying to get closer to the 1degree retard per psi guideline. Presently its alot faster. 2 degrees per psi, 10 degrees retard total by 5psi. It feels pretty soggy.

I cant decide if I should use a slower or faster mechanical advance curve though. Maybe faster to help the low end make torque sooner.
madmike

Post by madmike »

quit farting around and just limit it at 24* and crank up the boost ,heck i'm up to 17 lbs :lol:
Coyotemutt

Post by Coyotemutt »

madmike wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:54 pm quit farting around and just limit it at 24* and crank up the boost ,heck i'm up to 17 lbs :lol:
Hah! I'd blow the thing up at 24*, 17lbs, and 91 octane!

We only have two gas stations in my town, by the way. I can get 90 or 91.
madmike

Post by madmike »

thought u had the water/meth under control? get them a/r numbers to 11.5 on full boost and good fuel good spark and your golden :lol:
Coyotemutt

Post by Coyotemutt »

Well damn! That did it. Turned up the timing to 24* at full pressure and it hauls ass now. I sure hope it lasts that way.
buguy

Post by buguy »

It should, i had mine like that from 2007 'til 2019 with no issues. And no water/meth. I was 7.8:1 compression.
Coyotemutt

Post by Coyotemutt »

buguy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:42 pm It should, i had mine like that from 2007 'til 2019 with no issues. And no water/meth. I was 7.8:1 compression.
Was that even without an intercooler? 24* advanced at 15psi?

When my engine had it's valve get stuck, that really must have been all that happened. I recall I was cruising along at between 6 and 8 psi with an overly rich AFR and 26 degrees timing advance. if 24 is safe(ish) at 15psi then 26 is likely fine at 6. I'm still pretty dang nervous I'm going to get detonation and not hear it somehow.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah i didn't have an intercooler. I'm not sure on 26. Mine was limited to 24 degrees so i never ran any more than that. I totally understand being nervous. All you can do is what you can do. Make it as safe as you can and see how it goes. Learn what you can as you go. Things ARE going to happen. When you go efi you can have a lot more safeguards.
madmike

Post by madmike »

when 'cruising' it should not be in boost :shock: should be in vacuum :wink: