What's the most boost used

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
User avatar
richie,uk
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:01 am

Re: What's the most boost used

Post by richie,uk » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:10 pm

bug66 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 am



Do you question the dyno, or mock the driver? :mrgreen:

I am not sure, but has to be one of them as everyone knows 67s are fast so not the car :lol:

But one thing I always found odd is why mph is so low on your car for the hp, yes anyone can make a bad pass and ET suffers but mph normally is still near correct

bug66
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 am

Re: What's the most boost used

Post by bug66 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:50 pm

richie,uk wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:10 pm
bug66 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 am



Do you question the dyno, or mock the driver? :mrgreen:

I am not sure, but has to be one of them as everyone knows 67s are fast so not the car :lol:

But one thing I always found odd is why mph is so low on your car for the hp, yes anyone can make a bad pass and ET suffers but mph normally is still near correct
Agreed.

With 215/65 MH DOTs, 1,04 4th and 3.88 RP, it should do more than 217-219kph.

We think it might lacked some air flow to the turbo (VW Speedshop header, and filter on the turbo). Some vacuum happening?
---

2165cc T3/T4 turbo, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018

User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4351
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am

Re: What's the most boost used

Post by Wally » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 am

Maybe the dyno number was already calculated as engine hp?

Shame there wasn't a boost pressure running on the dyno sheet, as that would tell the tale (out of steam or not) a bit better still.

bug66
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 am

Re: What's the most boost used

Post by bug66 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:25 am

Wally wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 am
Maybe the dyno number was already calculated as engine hp?

Shame there wasn't a boost pressure running on the dyno sheet, as that would tell the tale (out of steam or not) a bit better still.
It showed wheel hp (well torque and then a hp conversion based on torque and rpm). We tried a bit higher boost on the WG solenoid, but no gains.
---

2165cc T3/T4 turbo, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018

User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4351
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am

Re: What's the most boost used

Post by Wally » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:52 am

It showed wheel hp
You're absolutely sure thats how it was read/measured, as the dyno sheet alone doesn't say one or the other. But if it is, I'll take your word for it of course!
bug66 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:25 am
We tried a bit higher boost on the WG solenoid, but no gains.
That info alone doesn't mean that the turbo is done :wink: (boost pressure vs RPM does give more info to asses the turbo's 'breathing capability' imo)

carsten bb
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 3:00 pm

Re: What's the most boost used

Post by carsten bb » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:40 pm

A back pressure gauge would have been fun on the old turbo.
Buy the 8 bar one 😄😄

User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4351
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am

Re: What's the most boost used

Post by Wally » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:06 pm

:lol: :lol:

User avatar
richie,uk
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:01 am

Re: What's the most boost used

Post by richie,uk » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:50 am

bug66 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:25 am

It showed wheel hp (well torque and then a hp conversion based on torque and rpm).

:roll:

bug66
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 am

Re: What's the most boost used

Post by bug66 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:12 am

richie,uk wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:50 am
bug66 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:25 am

It showed wheel hp (well torque and then a hp conversion based on torque and rpm).

:roll:

You can’t measure hp :wink:
---

2165cc T3/T4 turbo, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018

User avatar
richie,uk
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:01 am

Re: What's the most boost used

Post by richie,uk » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:23 pm

bug66 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:12 am
richie,uk wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:50 am
bug66 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:25 am

It showed wheel hp (well torque and then a hp conversion based on torque and rpm).

:roll:

You can’t measure hp :wink:
If you think that then why claim how much hp it has?

bug66
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 am

Re: What's the most boost used

Post by bug66 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:22 pm

richie,uk wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:23 pm
bug66 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:12 am
richie,uk wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:50 am
bug66 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:25 am

It showed wheel hp (well torque and then a hp conversion based on torque and rpm).

:roll:

You can’t measure hp :wink:
If you think that then why claim how much hp it has?
As you of course know, hp is just a calculated number from watts. The rollers or hub dyno measures the torque, and hp is converted/calculated from the torque the engine makes.

But we can of course disagree on the output of my last engine configuration, I know the dyno owner sat the correction factor for the flywheel conversion to 1.00.

And the first pull I did (on the same dyno as the 501/667 run) matched the numbers by a few percent when Trond had the car on a hub dyno. Same engine and transmission.
---

2165cc T3/T4 turbo, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018

Post Reply