Who are the go to head porters for turbo heads

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
terryly

Who are the go to head porters for turbo heads

Post by terryly »

Hi folks Messing around with my 2180 thick wall motor 92x82 running an 86a cam and 1.4 rockers. just rec'd a new set of JE forged pistons. Now wanting to get some new ported heads. talked to Greg Tims of performance workshop. They use a semi hemi cut on the heads to get 70cc from their combustion chambers. Is their some one else out there turbo prepping heads ?
Roy at Moffoco will only do 60 cc from his 050 heads. I reached out to AA to see what they would cc their 501 heads to They have not gotten back to me yet. I would sure like to get all the cc in the head combustion chamber before trying to get the pistons dished. any insight on this ? Links ,contact info or thoughts
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
DRED

Re: Who are the go to head porters for turbo heads

Post by DRED »

hello Terry,

not sure i can help you but just to understand, you want to lower your actual cr ? (9.6->?)
terryly

Post by terryly »

Yes had CB panchito with 56 cc chambers and .043 deck. I would like to lower the comp ratio and keep it in the heads trying for 70 cc
Last edited by terryly on Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Wally

Post by Wally »

There is no different porting for a turbo engine: the more flow, the better. Head cc is just a given to a custom porter imho: he will provide the head cc's you want.
If semi-hemi isn't benificial for an efficient/fast combustion N/A, it isn't for a turbo engine either.
Its that simple imo.
DRED

Post by DRED »

i'm agree with you wally,
ok Terry, i anderstand, seems to be a big cr drop...

i just know that earlier panchito made 54-55cc and the last one more around 57cc, the AA500 make 60cc out of the box..
buguy

Post by buguy »

I think i got 63cc out of my AA with just a little unshrouding around the valve and some cleanup. 70cc would take a lot of work.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Probably a little above my pay grade to get that much out of a set of heads buguy haha. Was actually looking for recommendations for who would be a head porter that may be doing this size of combustion chamber. I have a set of older CB Panchito heads that I was able to carve 3 cc out of my nice CNC chambers they were 53 cc after the the step was cut out. I will tell you I did not enjoy that much at all .... taking a die grinder to such nice CNC chambers I always wondered if I did more harm than good. I would prefer to leave the chamber work and porting to the pro's.
Thanks for the info DRED yes I have a set of the early ones 53 cc
I also agree with you Wally and is the reason for my question maybe I should have had a different topic title haha
Any recommendations or ideas as to who is porting heads that I can find out about larger combustion chambers
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Shag Leone aka SL-1 Racing does heads and Turbo.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Thanks Clone just sent him a Email
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

After a lot of research, I went with a set of hand ported turbo street heads from Shag at SL-1 racing. I did not like the semi hemi Steve Timms was doing even though I had great success with his NA heads. And I just couldn’t squeeze the cc’s out of them with a regular combustion chamber.

Shags heads came in around 62-63cc’s which helped but I still had to use a 0.60” copper head gasket to get into the 8.5:1 compression range.

I know it’s been said that you don’t need a turbo specific head, but there are some turbo-specific differences a quality head porter can implement. One is a larger exhaust valve with properly shaped/sized exhaust ports, which will provide less restriction than NA heads. On a NA head, the intake is sucking the air in, on turbo, it’s being forced in, so having more ‘square’ ports can help keep the flow more even, so to speak.

Another helpful (and controversial) aspect is the cutting back of the exhaust valve guide so as not to melt when it sees the higher heat from the turbo back pressure.

Finally, many NA heads have reasonably sized intake ports that may contribute to poor low end street manners. This isnt an issue if you don’t mind wringing the motor out to get around, but if you are looking for low end torque, a smaller port can keep port velocity up when off boost.

All of the above are fairly negligible differences, but, for me, I wanted to do it the best I could the first time. And it shows; my motor is smooth, extremely streetable, and doesn’t need to rev to the moon to make lots of issuable power under 7k rpms. Less wear and tear too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
panel

Post by panel »

Terry , seeing as though you're in Canada (me too) have you tried Kroc (Darren Krewenchuk) ?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=199809
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mario has a set of 94mm turbo heads by Shag on FB for sale ads. PNW Aircooled Swapmeet.....or contact Mario directly.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Don't be afraid to run 'huge' deck ,, it will still work ,, :wink:
bug66

Post by bug66 »

Wally: will air under pressure act the same in for example a bend as NA air?

Air being sucked through a bend, will speed up and favour the inside (short) corner. My brain tells me that boosted air will do the opposite?
---

2165cc on a Borg Warner S257 SXE, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018
66brm

Post by 66brm »

From what I've seen it tries to go straight, picture a 90 degree elbow ,the downstream outside of the bend gets "hit"