L Jetronic upgrade?

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
CouchPotato

L Jetronic upgrade?

Post by CouchPotato »

Does anyone have experience with or links to rebuilding Ljet engine with more displacement?
My local VW shop says they have done 1776 with Ljet, but they said the gains are not worth it. I really like the simplicity and driveability of the Ljet 1600 but would like more power for hills and altitude.
Im not building a racecar but can more power be made with this fuel injection? Maybe a 1679, 1776, 1904 with something like a Eagle 2280 cam?

*edited for clarity
Jadewombat

Re: L Jetronic upgrade?

Post by Jadewombat »

L jet is a great system, one of the most durable and easiest to fix after 40+ years.

My experience with modifications is you can either step up the cam or the rockers, but not both. L jet does NOT like a lot of overlap because it creates lower draw force on the air flap in the flow meter. What will happen is you'll need to ease off on the spring tension on the flow meter and it essentially makes the brain search for a signal when you are cruising. It just doesn't feel steady when you're driving at a cruising speed in any gear.

Accelerating and decelerating, no problem. L jet needs a consistent strong amount of draw on that AFM most all times though.