Full flow pipes expanding when engine runs

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
GARRICK.CLARK1

Full flow pipes expanding when engine runs

Post by GARRICK.CLARK1 »

Hi chaps. Got a 1776
Full flowed the usual way.
26 mm pump
New build
20/50 oil.
The oil lines are very pliable. I can squish them between my fingers.
What's happening is that the oil out pipe to the filter and the return to engine are expanding when it runs. The pipes have proper crimped ends, the whole length of pipe like 2.5 foot each is expanding 10 mm in diameter, looking like they will burst. I said from the start that the pipe wasn't reinforced and didn't like the look of it. My concern was right. The filter isn't bulging like I've seen with using oil pressure booster springs, the springs used are standard. Gunna fit an oil pressure gauge tomorrow before I change anything. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Full flow pipes bulging when engine runs

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Adding the pressure gauge is something I learned to do a long time ago. The idiot light takes a long time to show but the pressure gauge can tell you in real time what is happening.

Twice the gauge told me of problems long before the idiot light came on. There was time, based on the gauge hitting zero on the way in, to get back to camp before the idiot light came on... maybe a block away from camp.

If I remember correctly the idiot lite is supposed to come on at something like 6#s or 7#s or less.

Having both is still a good idea.

Lee
GARRICK.CLARK1

Re: Full flow pipes expanding when engine runs

Post by GARRICK.CLARK1 »

Thanks Lee, what do ya thinks going on, crappy oil lines or big pressure. Big pressure bursts oil filters, seen it plenty times.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

What are the specs on the line? I have only used Earl's braided -8. It is very high quality.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I'd be changing those oil lines. Get something good. The hose I use is very firm. If you can squish it, you can easily kink it. Not worth the potential risk at all.
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Chip Birks wrote:I'd be changing those oil lines. Get something good. The hose I use is very firm. If you can squish it, you can easily kink it. Not worth the potential risk at all.
I agree take that line off and throw it away. I have ran rubber in the past but only use ptfe now its the ultimate hose!
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

I bought the -8 braided ptfe with an fittings off ebay they are fairly inexpensive as a kit
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Here's what it looks like black or silver braided is offered ImageImage
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Nate, looks clean and organized.

Other than the length of the oil lines and haven't seen an oil filter mounted like that before no real opinions good or bad other than something new to look at and argue with myself over :lol: .

Lee
GARRICK.CLARK1

Post by GARRICK.CLARK1 »

Thanks guys. It's supposed to be 20 bar x 300 degrees. Can't see it meself. Ya should see the expansion on it. Scary stuff. It takes less than 20 seconds to empty a sump when a pipe goes on a running engine. Oil hose must be the most important thing on an expensive aircooled motor. That and a tight sump plug
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Nate, looks clean and organized.

Other than the length of the oil lines and haven't seen an oil filter mounted like that before no real opinions good or bad other than something new to look at and argue with myself over Image .

Lee
Hahaha that was for engine break in before I put the back half of the body on Image
GARRICK.CLARK1

Post by GARRICK.CLARK1 »

Did the oil pressure test. Gauge showed 50 psi at idle cold, 60 with a bit of revs. I think that's acceptable. Besides if the oil pressure was huge at the pump outlet, enough to expand good quality oil pipe like it does.... surely the filter would burst
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

GARRICK.CLARK1 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:24 am Did the oil pressure test. Gauge showed 50 psi at idle cold, 60 with a bit of revs. I think that's acceptable. Besides if the oil pressure was huge at the pump outlet, enough to expand good quality oil pipe like it does.... surely the filter would burst
If I remember correctly the 60#s at RPMs is about right. When new the lower pressure would be a bit higher. 10#s per 1000 is as I remember the norm with 60#s being about max for an AC engine. Too much pressure can do bearing damage as I remember.

Lee
GARRICK.CLARK1

Post by GARRICK.CLARK1 »

Yeah thanks Lee. I think it's ready for going out the door.
Phil69

Post by Phil69 »

I built a nice 1776cc for a guy and sent him a link to the exact type of stainless swaged hose he needed to hook up his full flow filter and oil cooler.
He ignored my advice and ruined 200 hours of my work.
Don't skimp on the oil lines or fittings it can be expensive.