Oxyboxer build thread

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
grelland

Re: Oxyboxer build thread

Post by grelland »

I am using the hole where the original sensor is located, just needed to drill out the hole a little after I knocked out the original sensor.

Jørn (fastback) told me the the flywheel was quite hard, and he had to be really careful not to overheat his tools. It is a AA performace one.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Was the original sensor press fit in the hole only, or is it retained in another way?
grelland

Post by grelland »

press fit I guess. I just whacked it out :)
fastback

Post by fastback »

the sensor is pressed in yes. into a "bushing" with splines which is pressed into the case from the flywheel side
grelland

Post by grelland »

I left the bushing in the case, and drilled out the hole sligthly:
hall location.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grelland

Post by grelland »

Today I went over to my friend's place and borrowed some of his extensive machine shop tools, so I made the first 4 inserts:
first 4 inserts.jpg
I still have 12 more to make, so I will take a few pictures of the different steps the next time I am over there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zbo

Post by zbo »

Looks good Grelland, glad to see you making some progress.
grelland

Post by grelland »

very slow progress, but still...

I finally managed to get the remaining 12 insers done, and they are now mounted in the case.

I took the opportunity to mock up the engine, just to see that it all goes together as it should:
engine rear.jpg
Not the most exciting picture, but a project threat without any pictures is a bit boring ;)

I still need to cut the rest of the studs to the right length.

I also trial mounted the rocker assembly, as I wanted to check out the clearence towards the covers, and it looks ok, but I need to set up the rocker geometry properly first:
rockers.jpg
I also ended up replacing the hall sensor, as I was a little worried that the one I had first was only spec'ed to 85°C. Here's a shot of the new one:
vr.jpg
Next on my list now is to set up rocker geometry and pushrod lengths before I take it all apart for the final cleaning and assembly
Dougs Auto

Post by Dougs Auto »

Hi all

what is the origional application of the speed sensor that you using

Doug
grelland

Post by grelland »

It's listed as a hall effect crankshaft position sensor, so I assume that is the original application (?)

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/hall ... p-479.html
grelland

Post by grelland »

I think I warned you earlier that this is a loooong time project, but at least there has been some progress lately.

First of all, I have measured the deck height properly, and with the approriate gaskets/spacers I have achieved the desired 1.2mm. I have also set up the valvetrain geometry and ordered a set of airccoled.net dual tapered alu pushrods.

I then mocked up the longblock again to ensure I have cut the studs correctly, and I also started fitting the fan shroud and cooling tin. Some cutting/modification is necessary, but it is getting there:
fan shroud.jpg
Either the engine is some 20mm wider than stock, or maybe I can manage to place the outer tins a little bit closer to together in order to close this gap:
spacer.jpg
pocketrocket

Post by pocketrocket »

You can make some aluminum spacers block to fill that area. Most of the time it takes about 1/4 in. or 6-7mm thick. If you slot them you can put the bolt in and slip the spacer over the bolt. I have made them before & I know Empi & Bugpack sell them.
grelland

Post by grelland »

Thanks, but I managed to trim the cylinder shrouds enough to make the fan shroud fit well.

I have also trimmed the rest of the engine tinware, and they now fit well. I still need to weld in a few holes and openings before I can hand them over to my 14-year-old son for final prep and paint :)

I stopped by my local parts supplier today and picked up an alternator kit so that I could verify that the fan shroud is correctly.

I think I will end up using the outer lower locations for the injectors. That frees up some space between the TBs and fan shroud, as well as in this location, the injectors fire directly at the valves.

Starts looking good :)
blekk.jpg
I also spent some time making an old Scat bellcrank kit work, and I am not 100% satisfied yet, but maybe after a bit more fiddling I will use this.

This will be a very uncluttered engine, as the only additional thing to go on now is a hose for the case ventilation system and a couple of wires for the alternator.

Only major parts I still dont have received are the pushrods. Once they are here, I can assemble this thing fo the last time (I hope...)

Cant wait to get it rolling :)
grelland

Post by grelland »

I decided that the tin behind the pulley was not quite up to par, so I ground off the top plate of the original one, and cut out a new one:
breast plate.jpg
After some bondo and paint it will look good :) At least it follows the contour of the case a lot better, and the main function of this is to separate the hot and cold side of the engine

I also made a small bracket on the underside to secure it to the case:
bracket.jpg
Baby steps, but steps nevertheless ;)
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

If you can believe it, this is my firt trip into this forum... Nice to finally see what you are up to :P
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store