Novice advice, painting alloy

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
Junglist

Novice advice, painting alloy

Post by Junglist »

Hi, I’m a painting novice and need some advice.

I have damaged the finish on my bicycle frame by using an ill-fitting tool. There are 3 areas on the bottom bracket shell, 2 underneath and 1 on top. The finish is a textured matte black anodizing on a 7005 T6 alloy frame. I have rubbed down the areas ready for painting as shown in the photos.

My research has suggested I need an etching primer, although I don’t know what effect it may have on the surrounding anodizing. I had hoped to use a brush rather than spray but this I understand is not advised as you need a thin layer which is difficult to control with a brush.

As for the top coat, I’m not sure if matte or satin will be the better match and there’s so many different types of paint I don’t know where to start. I’m not expecting a professional finish, just a hard wearing one.

I also need advice on masking tape as I can’t get paint on the 2.5mm lip (highlighted in the second photo).

I live in the UK.

Thanks, Mark.
SCOTTRODS

Re: Novice advice, painting alloy

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Best advice I can offer, is to take it to a powder coating facility, that can strand refinish the frame with the proper coating. If paint is what you intend, then no big deal. Do your best to limit where the paint goes, and use the proper solvent to remove any excess that gets on the Lip , after letting the paint dry and cure fully. The texture you have on the frame appears to be powder coating, which is really common on todays bicycles (and many for a number of years now). Powder coating is light weight and tough as nails. Any spray or brush-on paint will be inferior unless you have some pretty expensive paint to work with... ie, Mercedes Benz factory paint repair stuff... which I have not seen in a texture yet... but it may be available.

Probably ought to take bicycle stuff to the bicycle people as well, but I don't mind putting in a. thought or two, as the question does touch on the essence of the thread.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Junglist

Re: Novice advice, painting alloy

Post by Junglist »

Okay, thanks for the reply.