Pans

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
Owl Slayer

Pans

Post by Owl Slayer »

I'm getting close to ordering pans for my project. I'm inclined to order 18g from either Wolfsburgwest.com or Mtmfg.com........but Mtmfg.com carries danish quarter pans they say are stronger because of the seam weld, but they're 20g.........anyone have real life experience with these quarter pans?
18g are about $600 shipped, danish quarter about $320 shipped, hence the question
Thanks
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Pans

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The material thickness of the pans have a great disparity depending on where/who you get them from! The business where I got the first set from is now out of business so I don't know the where they got them.
DSC00647 (2).JPG
Down to the nubbins.
buggy 014 (2).jpg
passenger side 005 (2).jpg
The first set of pans were tinny then I got the second set that were much better but they had issues also. I was lucky to have ordered mine while they were in a build run so the rear cross pieces and the seat mounts aren't there. This shows the pans just as I was finishing installing them.

The subject of half pans did come up but the recommendation for both full sides it was thought that they might have to be trimmed to get a good fit and the seam join may or may not have been as strong (I was learning to weld at the time and there was another problem that we couldn't figure out until there was an accidental discovery/fix).

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owl Slayer

Post by Owl Slayer »

Thank you for the input
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

For what it is worth some pix of the frame head beam mount in-case you wanted to change things a bit more. Remember one change changes the desire to do other things to make other things better and so it goes... on and on.
304204[1].jpg
This is the extension of a BJ pan with the BJ mount removed. The lower portion, from what I have been told is the same for K&L or BJ mounts.
304205[1].jpg
This is a beam mount from a pre-'65 K&L beam mount. The difference is mainly the distance between the tubes of each design front beams.
304206[1].jpg
304207[1].jpg
2 views of the K&L beam mount after welding.

I have other pictures for extending the frame head that I have saved over the years here but I don't think they are the best of ways to do it and the supporting hardware is missing.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.