Lifespan

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
bd1308

Lifespan

Post by bd1308 »

Nickies
9550 Cam (or warmer)
Appropiate Cylinder Head

How long will this last? Charles says that the cylinders will last several hundred thousand miles?

Jake, if I can get well over 100k miles, i'm in.

b
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Many things play into this...

Mainly your ability to assemble and tune the engine and keeping it tuned.

The other imprtant factors are running temperature, scheduled maintenance and the entire combination you use to create the engine- it is of utmost concern.

I never make promises on longevity, all it takes is a bad tank of fuel or bad tuning to kill an engine, even one that I build.

What I can say is that Nickies get started at 100K and I now have 105K on my 912E engine without them and it still runs great and passes a leak down test with flying colors, ebven after several oil changes with over 15K miles on them (The most was 21K on the same oil and same filter!)

I have many 2270 engines without Nickies that have over 100K on them, Nickies extend longevity greatly but nothing is more important than the combination, proper assemly and correct tuning.

Once again, no promises- the longevity is up to you, all the components can meet and exceed your desires undoubtedly.
bd1308

Post by bd1308 »

Jake, as you probably know by now I dont have the deepest pockets in the world.

It seems that the knowledge of t4's arent as available as lets say t1 combos are.

I'm just looking for longevity, as in going around 75k miles per top end rebuild, and going probably 150k on a bottom end build.

I plan to at least get your cam (the 9550)--you seem to know your poop when it comes to that.

I wanted to build up a plain jane 2.0L engine, but like I said before my pockets arent deep, but I have a good job that pays well.

Maybe nikies are way out of line (at 2k/set) but one would think these would last a long time, due to the nature of them not wearing much, due ot teh nikisil alloy.

What I would need is something to get me going--for a long time. Right now, I'm getting used freebie or cheap 1.7L 914 engines.

It's cool but its a PITA to do engine swaps every year or two. I think I finally learned enough about an engine not to blow one up quickly.

I know several VW people in my area, and they downplay the need to spend alot on the engines.

Jake, in all honestly, you sold me on the engine idea.

Think about a built chevy motor, or a ford 351-C engine. big bucks $$.

The budget just doesnt allow for a RAT engine per say, but I would like general recommendations about what I would enjoy--remember, I'm not in it for 'speed' but for 'longevity' which is why i used the 1.7L engines.

I mean if i could build a engine for around 3000, that woudl be a good budget.

Oh, and is there any data to back up AMC's faulty valve seats and guides?
I just hear of people hating them, with no regard to actual data.

Ive been told by several people (of whom have professional experience) that AMC heads are ok for stock builds, as long as the valves are replaced.

Lemme know man, you're getting a cam at least from me :)

b
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I'll keep this short- you can listen to this weeks radio show for more info on budget builds.....

I would not worry about Nickies. I'd build up a solid 2056 using my German bearings, Cam and lifters and the econo piston/cylinder set. Then I'd send your heads to Len to be rebuilt and upgraded to better seats. You can do all of this for the cost of the Nickies alone!

AMC heads have suck ass hardware. Problems with parts like these isn't called data- its called picking parts up off the floor.

The AMC hardware is never used in our heads, all of it is swapped out.