Lathe tool bit shimming

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Lathe tool bit shimming

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Nice setup and very clean ( :oops: I need to clean my garage up again)!

I bought the mount/stand and the lathe/mill from Smithy at the same time so it has drawers and a storage place and it sits next to a window that has blinds on it so can open to add light if and when needed but still not open to people in the yard looking for "stuff" to steal. I also hung a fluorescent light, a bit off-set enough so that my head doesn't create shadows over the work (something I learned from aircraft interior design).

Anything I can do is learned from trial and error. The advice on the tool bits is good, thanks. Until the last month or so I bought stuff from Smithy and was not real happy with them; partly out of ignorance partly because I had problems doing things with them. I got the standard bits then the ones with the triangle shaped cutting edges so you can rotate and replace them. Those did not work out at all. If the threads for the bolts (or bit holder) did not strip the threads they vibrated loose. I got the HF bits just out of frustration and haven't really used them so far. Since I have had my "card" stolen (the crook only stole the card numbers from only one company that issued them; it was reported quick enough that no one had a chance to use it) the results being that I am loathe to buy anything off-line now.

Lee
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

I don't hesitate to purchase anything on-line from McMaster Carr. Best quality stuff out there that I've run into, generally reasonably priced albeit a bit more $$ than the bargain basement off shore produced stuff. They're a huge and very professional operation, amazing some of the stuff they carry you can't even find anywhere else. Sometimes you have to purchase more quantity (such as nuts and bolts) that you may want - but their cutting bits are a cry-once deal, you never regret once you use them - real machinist quality! Reasonable shipping charges and their delivery times rival Amazon! I've been getting my band saw blades there as well - seems to hold up better than the Grizzly blades I've used previously.
Typically the cutting tip of the tool is aligned with a centering point set in the tail stock, gives the best cut when centered with the rotation center of the part being cut. Sometimes I have to "rig up" some pretty unconventional bit holder setups if I'm trying to cut something really too big for my small lathe. Nice and easy light cuts generally gets the job done!
Jeff
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Default.htm

I did look at your URL and they talk about the HF https://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-x- ... 93212.html. I just noticed in HF's monthly magazine which shows what is on sale. The 7" X 10" lathe is being sold for around $700 now.

The URL you posted has a pretty good discussion on this series of lathes. At the same time I bought my Smithy (the model I bought was soon after discontinued [not sure if it still is] due, as I understood it, because of low model sales) I bought a book by Doug Brinley called "THE HOME MACHINIST'S HANDBOOK". It is a good start for beginners especially with the lower priced simpler lathes.

Again, I appreciate your input on this as it did give me a lot of solace and guided me to do and look into some other things.

Lee
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Great thread. Thx.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

My next "want" for the shop will be a mini-mill. So many times I've needed to make something where a mill would be super-useful - opposed to trying to "drill and file" something to the correct shape. It's a big ticket item for my meager budget, plus currently "no room at the inn" for another machine tool in my shop! Strictly wish-list item, but one day....

I like the looks and reviews for the Precision Matthews machines - the PM-25MV and PM-727M:
https://www.precisionmatthews.com/produ ... enchmills/

Ain't no Bridgeport, but for a small-capacity machine I'd love to have one.
Jeff
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Yea, a big ME TOO but at my age I got what I can use (most of the time) w/o spending $$$ for stuff my wife's family wouldn't use.

Lee