Replacement for a Crappy Saw

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Jadewombat

Replacement for a Crappy Saw

Post by Jadewombat »

So in 2015 I bought a new Craftsman table saw. My dad bought Craftsman stuff when I was growing up. Heck I have a lot of decent hand tools from them. Guess where this saw was made. Yep. Chinese junk is just that from day 1. It's actually possible to set the guide slightly crooked when you clamp it down, no kidding. The cuts were awful and it was horribly loud. Kept spinning for days after you shut it off.

I've hated this thing for almost 6 years now. You do the mental flip-flop, "Do I really NEED a new saw." Well no, this one still works.

Fortunately, this one finally died. It's direct drive with the motor so I think that's what eventually killed it. Found on the CL a nice old 'merican made Toolkraft one from the 1950s for a couple hundred. Fabbed up my own stand and powder coated it myself. Real metal gears and solid cast iron. Weighs a lot. It is so smooth there's no kick when it starts, running it, nor when it shuts off.

The quality of cut is waaaaay better. Left cut in the picture with burn marks was with the Chinese saw, other with the Darra James unit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCOTTRODS

Re: Replacement for a Crappy Saw

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Nice...

You're right. It's more than just a little difficult to find a good used one nowadays as well. That one looks pretty good to me. Sometimes an antique will out-do the competition, even if made in the USA.

I've been watching for some Hand held power tools form the 40's... something about a Rockwell Jigsaw always gave me a woodie... they weigh a ton but they don't give you crooked and wavy cuts. Finding a good solid one is very difficult. Most are worn out beyond usable. And the Prices when you do find them are kinda steep. Been garage sale shopping for years, but manufacturing (which is where most of the good hand helds were used) was not local to the area much.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If someone is selling a used one it is probably that it is really used and he/she is getting a gnu one :roll: .

Honesty now days is quite often no real policy but more of an :wink: .
Ian Godfrey

Post by Ian Godfrey »

I'm a fan of good old tools, made on your own continent, even if you have to put some time and money into restoration. I have a lovely old 12 speed Waldown drill press, it was a tapping tool so it had 'low miles' and I converted it back to a drill press. It has made me very happy. Beautiful straight holes. I'm looking for a nice old lathe in OZ that's a Sheridan, Qualos or Hercus. Similar quality to your South bend.