Need help

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
MichaelMarines21

Need help

Post by MichaelMarines21 »

Ok I have a sand rail. Transaxle has numbers 0003112. What is this transaxle? Case also has 24 113.301.103 d. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to know what I am running. The engine is a aj code 1600. Which I think was factory fi. But now has 2 barrel Weber. Thanks.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Need help

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Bruce2 is one of the trans guys here and should be posting before too long but this is about what I could find out when doing a quick search: http://www.midsouthvw.com/TechTips/tech ... leCode.htm

Lee
turboblue

Post by turboblue »

Need the ID numbers.
Here on most sedan transmissions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

Here's how I look at it.
Swing axles:
5/8" OD starter bushing - left the factory as a 6V swing
1/2" OD - left as a 12V swing

IRS
AH - left the factory with a 4.12 ring and pinion
AT - left the factory with a 3.88 ring and pinion

These were the cheapest cars to own and operator at one point in time. Sometimes they're still true to factory markings, but a lot were rebuilt by the cheapest method and even the factory put out some weird combos as they didn't throw away parts when changes were made.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

MichaelMarines21 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:34 pm Ok I have a sand rail. Transaxle has numbers 0003112. What is this transaxle? Case also has 24 113.301.103 d. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to know what I am running. The engine is a aj code 1600. Which I think was factory fi. But now has 2 barrel Weber. Thanks.
Michael, I missed reading the engine code number of AJ probably as it was in lower case.

An AJ engine code is for a 1600cc case used in a VW from 1975 to 1979. During that time, in the US, the trans was an IRS trans but because it is in a rail it could be just about anything. This is where some pictures (pix) would be helpful.
th1JKHKPZS.jpg
This shows both the swing axle and the IRS axle setups in the same drawing. The IRs has two CV joints with a drive/half-shaft between the CV joints.
thHGLR37WU.jpg
The swing axle has a pivoting setup on the axles at the transaxle. Swing axle can be used off-road but have limitations as they tuck under when you get light going over humps and bumps and tuck in on compression so the usable travel is less.

Stock IRS can get you somewhere south of about 9" of travel stock but by changing the CV joints and half shafts, different trailing arms and shocks and either torsion bars or changing to springs of some sort then longer travel could be had. You would also need to change things up front too to keep things even. The first IRS was in "69 if I remember correctly and had dual spring plates which lasted until sometime in '71, after that they went to single are spring plates. The trailing arms for dual spring place have 5 bolts where the single are spring plates have 3 bolts so things are not easily interchangeable.

Thin innards of the trans are both able to have gearing changes at least to a certain extent (not my speciality).

VW bus transaxles can be used also by buying a mount kit and getting different stub axles. The bus CVs are bigger and have more angle potential to them and then there is the 930 CVs which is another conversion. Bus trans's are 3 rib, 5 rib and the really expensive 6 rib.

Got pix you can post?

I hope this helps

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Difference between single and double spring plate 001.JPG
This shows the difference between a single and a double spring plate mount on trailing arms. I think I said 5 fasteners when it is 4 fasteners for the double spring plate.
DSC03741.JPG
This is the slots a double spring plate. They are used for alignment. The single arm spring plate has the same thing.
Dune Buggy rebuild 10-1-06 101.jpg
This is how the double spring plate and the trailing arm slide together. The single spring plate and its trailing arm are a simple bolt together setup.

Lee