1967 synchro rings??

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
62kellison

Re: 1967 synchro rings??

Post by 62kellison »

I have a package coming from weddle Thursday.4 new synchro rings,2 new diff bearings,4 new bearings for the gear stacks,2 HD woodruff keys,a full gasket kit.The pinion bearing feels really good I am on the fence about changing it.(plus weddle ran out of early pinion bearings)I have a 1.48 3rd and a 1.04 4th I am putting on.They are the gem gears with welded synchro hubs on them.(Good used set).I have 31 inch tires in the rear of my glass bug with a 2110/FK8/dual 44 Idf,s/brand new cb Panchito heads/full flowed/1 5/8 exh ,ETC,Etc..built by me over the past winter.... I needed the gear change currently running a 62 6 volt tranny I ground out the bellhousing.the 4.37 hasn't been to bad but its starting to howl.long overdue for a freshen up..This is more of an experiment for me and I enjoy doing this stuff.We will see how it works out..
62kellison

Post by 62kellison »

Tranny is built guys.I set all the gear stacks to spec.took my time did everything correctly(I hope).I havnt figured out how to post a few pics of what I did.I got my 2110 out yesterday.hopefully have the old transaxle out and new one in in a few days.Fingers Crossed!!...All together I changed all the gearstack/shafts bearings(steel caged),all new synchro rings,2 HD shaft keys,new diff bearings,1.48 welded 3rd gear,1.04 welded 4th gear and all new gaskets and rubber o rings everywhere.cleaned and painted the case.I set my backlash,preload and pinion depth to factory specs.I didn't have to change any shims.(everything was within spec with the old shims)..lucky me.I used an old case for my shift fork setup.The long enterprises DVD,s were very helpful...thanks for any help guys.I will report back when and if the tranny works!!!...My 1st vw tranny build/refresh/rebuild...SEAN in Western MA
62kellison

Post by 62kellison »

IT WORKS FLAWLESS!!..Just an update guys.I got it finished last night.started her up went thru all the gears sitting still felt great!!..checked I had reverse and 1st thru 4th..backed her out of the garage,went up the road.It shifts Great!!!..Transmission is nice and quiet!!..the 1.48 third gear and 1.04 4th gear is perfect for my 31 inch tires!!...I couldn't be happier!!!...I am so happy how this came out!!!...For anyones info,I did use the "first gear synchro on 1st AND 2nd gears.Weddle says its for 1st gear but I read that someone had used them on 2nd also.and then I used the 3rd and 4th gear synchros.this is on a 67 swing axle.Heres the part number for 1st and 2nd gear synchro I used. 113-311-269-A (Diehl) and 3-4 I used 113-311-295-1 (brazil).I used 80-90 gear oil and it shifts beautiful!!!!...my first rebuild/upgrade...I drove all over last night.Its so smooth and my gear ratio is perfect now!!!!...Not one "specialized" vw tool was used.I paid attention to detail and it paid off!!...thanx, Sean in western MA...