Imohr front suspension install impressions

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
maurice

Imohr front suspension install impressions

Post by maurice »

I got my suspension from iMohr recently and figured I’d start writing about it - my friend also got one too. I got the one that came with their dropped spindles, though I could have used my 66’ original spindles. The suspension looks amazing. Lots of places for adjustments, and it seems really well made.

(Installed picture is my buddy’s, his body is off and it took him 15 minutes to pull his old one off and put this on)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5wBqVxrcx4RQg9c16

I’ve been lagging pretty hard on installing it. I’ve got a lotta stuff in the way (radiator, fuel lines, hydraulic clutch etc).

My first issue that is nobody’s fault, is that the later ghia? Spindles don’t have the same bolt pattern and spindle size for my brakes. I run airkewld’s BAD brakes with 4 piston wilwood calipers. I didn’t know this. Pete at airkewld is swapping me my spacers, I swapped the bearings, but He doesn’t make a caliper mounting kit for it, so I’ll have to make that myself. iMohr could have specified the spindles and I could have bought some other dropped ones that would work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mctikz5c2SCg8yux8

The only issue my buddy has had so far is that they sent him massive rod ends for the steering. Not sure why when stock is only 12mm, his look like they’re 3/4”.

My second issue so far are their spindles. The machining done on them has raised ribs around it. I had to do some sanding to be able to get the bearings on. One spindle also had pretty hard paint on it from the painted spindle assembly, but it needed sanding anyway so it wasn’t too bad.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UH7fZYC32Y1kvFNK6

I may have some issues with my hydraulic clutch master cylinder, but that’s on me. I’ll try to figure out how to post pictures soon.
GS guy

Re: Imohr front suspension install impressions

Post by GS guy »

Thanks for the updates Maurice - the kit looks pretty nice from the pics. To insert pics in your post - use the "full editor" option (not the quick reply box typically located just below a post). It can be tricky exactly "where" the pic is inserted - like in between text descriptions, so I usually write out all the text first, with line breaks where I want pics. Then set the cursor at the desired break, go down and click to where it says Attachments below the text box. This brings up the option to select images from your files. Select the files you want to attach and then verify they ended up where you wanted in the text box. By default, I've found the forum software wants to insert any attachment files at the very end of the text - which is OK too if that's what you want. Also use the Preview button below to double check pic location in your text before you submit the post. Continue to Edit and preview so the post appears how you want it. You can also select a web location to "connect to" an on-line pic/file, but haven't tried using that recently - the small button at the top of the text box with a mountain scene.

On the front end, be sure to check bump steer during trial assembly. Those inner tie rod ends look to be quite inboard of the upper a-arm pivots.
Jeff
maurice

Post by maurice »

Just checked, the pivots for the inner tie rod ends are about 3/4-1” inboard of the pivots for the a arms. It raised an eyebrow, then I realized that maybe I don’t fully understand this stuff.
I looked at the stock vw spindle (they use a stock design) and the steering attachment point is set inwards about the same distance. Would the arc of the suspension and steering be the same if the length of the steering rod and a arms are the same?

On a side note, they don’t have a sway bar on heir website for this suspension. But saw on their Instagram that they made one after I ordered mine. I may try to modify a vw one to work before ordering one from Brazil
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Not sure? The spindle TR pivot/attachment is set inward for ackerman. General a-arm suspension convention is the inner tie rod should fall on an imaginary line through the inner upper and lower a-arm pivot centers - in front view. In theory. I don't know if the inner TR pivot can be positioned to mirror the outer TR pivot offset due to ackerman correction? Some quick mock-up can get a ball-park idea how bad (or good) it is - you just need to determine the spindle travel up and down, and some way to observe if and maybe how much the spindle turns left/right as the suspension is cycled. I built a simple bump-steer gauge to test my MII set-up:
Bumpsteer 20120429 #2.JPG
You can rig up a string-type alignment and get some idea.
Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maurice

Post by maurice »

That’s a sick setup! I should have one of those for sure. I’ll get on making one of those as soon as the suspension is in... and maybe after I build my next engine that’s sitting in
my garage.
maurice

Post by maurice »

I assembled the spindle assembly with it on the ground.

Eyeballing it (very non scientific), it doesn’t seem to toe at all for the middle and bottom of the suspension travel. When I bring it all the way to the top of the travel, the last 1.5” before it stops, it does toe in, I’d say about 1/16 - 3/32” (eyeballed) at “4 from center of the spindle, which would be 5/16+ at the ends of the tires. Worrying, but it’s got about 8-9” of total suspension travel, more than I’d need for a track car. I have a feeling with dropped spindles, I won’t be coming close to the top of my suspension before banging into my fenders.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Sounds like you'll be fine. Original VW BJ suspension only has about 4.5" of travel, so anything in that range (whatever is allowed by your shocks or hard bump stops) should be perfect for street. A track car should need even less travel. No need to measure past allowed suspension travel. For stops, I'm running limit straps for extension, Koni bumpers for compression.
maurice

Post by maurice »

It’s half way in. My brake master’s reservoir doesn’t fit with it in, and my clutch master I put in will likely not fit. The brake would work with a remote reservoir though.

I’m also not liking the amount of contact the suspension makes with the framehead. my friend showed me his, and there isn’t a lot of contact. But you do weld a plate to secure it in the back.

I’ll update with pictures soon
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The funny (odd) thing is what we are trying to do a lot of things with something that was not really designed for what we are doing. The suspension was designed for around town and Autobahn driving not racing or long travel use or even suspension being used for lower than stock. These additional uses the geometry nor was the springing methods ware not planned for.

Kind of a complement to the design team of Dr. Ferdinand Porsche that we can do so much with so little.

Lee
maurice

Post by maurice »

This suspension comes apart at the middle, and can be installed without cutting.. of course I didn’t do it that way, and hacked up car up even more!

The suspension was actually engineered it seems. They are specific in the instructions that the steering rod is parallel with the a arms, and make you use washers spaced between if you use a stock spindle assembly. They apparently went nicer than their instructions show, and include a spacer if you use a stock spindle, but it needs to be drilled out to 19mm since the bolt is quite large. Their spindle adjusts for this already so I don’t have to drill anything.

The steering shaft is offset, so I’ll be making a custom one using a double u joint shaft from a super beetle as suggested my them.
eskamobob1

Post by eskamobob1 »

Anyone know what tire size this kit is designed around?
maurice

Post by maurice »

I threw my 17x7” et55 wheels with 205 wide tire and I think there’s a lot more turning ability than the stock suspension. I can throw my 17x9 wheels with 255’s on and report back, I’d assume it’ll take it, but I’d need a big spacer to get my scrub radius to 0 with that backspacing.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

maurice wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:57 pm The suspension was actually engineered it seems. They are specific in the instructions that the steering rod is parallel with the a arms, and make you use washers spaced between if you use a stock spindle assembly. They apparently went nicer than their instructions show, and include a spacer if you use a stock spindle, but it needs to be drilled out to 19mm since the bolt is quite large. Their spindle adjusts for this already so I don’t have to drill anything.

The steering shaft is offset, so I’ll be making a custom one using a double u joint shaft from a super beetle as suggested my them.
I'm curious! How many washers did you end up with in a stack? Design wise three in a stack is the limit before going to a spacer.

I'm playing with the same or similar problem. If you look at the EMPI catalog (for example.) there are several designs but you have to know if the steering box has splines or uses a Charlynn clamp style Then you have too deal with the tube size: 3/4", 5/8" or 7/8" dia. and there are combinations of the three available. Add to that there are the other components available and they are just about as confusing.

I don't want to go through the firewall at an angle so I have to figure out where the penetration is then the u-joint to angle over to the relationship of the driver. If you go with three u-joints then you have to have a support for the middle one.

Years ago (in the 90's) I got that double u-joint shaft from a Superbeetle and it isn't what I was told it would be as it doesn't seem to match up with the stock stuff that well.

:roll: Fun and games for sure.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

IMG_2371 copy.jpg
I went out to the garage and took a couple of quick pix. This is the half-shaft I was talking about. It is almost exactly 11" long.
IMG_2372 copy.jpg
A rough measurement of the opening is 16.77mm/0.0660"
IMG_2373 copy.jpg
2 different bug join styles: one is splined and the other is not.
IMG_2374 copy.jpg
This is a stock bug splined shaft. With the bolt as tight as I could get it (I started to rip the threads off one of the two fastener parts) the stock bug shaft would slide in and out with minimum contact.
IMG_2375 copy.jpg
The universal I bought does not fit on the splines shown but does fit on the steering box I have. The steering shaft it will handle is 7/8 (0.080).

The mount's bushing here will take a 3/4" shaft.

The quick release steering wheel coupler here will take the 3/4" shaft. They also have a splined version. The octagonal shaped unit I have was the only one, at the time I got it, that I knew about.

For what it is worth.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maurice

Post by maurice »

That steering system looks pretty much exactly like my setup! I should finish mine though. I used the super beetle double u joint and welded a fitting for the rack on that I found on summit.

I didn’t need to stack any washers. My spindle I got from them was manufactured with a raised height. My buddy’s came with a spacer for his spindle, and uses a much larger diameter bolt to Jae up for the lost strength with spacing out his steering rod.