MS2 VR Sensor Sync Loss

risk

MS2 VR Sensor Sync Loss

Post by risk »

A little background..
I was running the CB Performance crank trigger, DIY Autotune Quadspark module, and the Denso CBR coil on plugs in wasted spark. Ran this for years with no issues. Switched to the dub shop hidden trigger setup for a cleaner look, and began seeing misfires in the upper rpm range. Same pulley, same plugs, same coils... ran a new shielded cable to the VR sensor, no change, tried a new sensor and still have the misfire. The misfire always occurs at the same rpm range when accelerating above half to full throttle. If you hold the engine at half throttle or below and accelerate to redline, the misfire will never occur.

I have tried adjusting the sensor, no change.. Used the trigger logger and you can see a pattern in the signal that looks like a long sine wave.. I am assuming that some runout in the pulley, or noise in the trigger is causing this? Maybe the pulley flexes more on a quick hard pull vs a long one?

At any rate I am tired of messing with it, so my plan is:
First I will switch from the dub shop hidden trigger back to the CB setup and see if that fixes the misfire. I also plan on ditching the CBR coil on plugs and going with the IGN-4 coil tower.
Last edited by risk on Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHAse580

Re: Switching from COP to IGN-4

Post by CHAse580 »

Contact Mario first and see if he can provide a fix.
risk

Post by risk »

Did that already.. did not receive a response.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

How much endplay do you have on your crankshaft????
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

I know your done with it but if your willing to throw a 10k resistor between the signal and voltage wire may fix the issue. I have a 20k on mine. It’s a super easy thing to add in before you change out your coil set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

risk wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:33 am Anyone here running an IGN-4 Coil tower? Can you help me out with a wiring diagram?

A little background..
I was running the CB Performance crank trigger, DIY Autotune Quadspark module, and the Denso CBR coil on plugs in wasted spark. Ran this for years with no issues. Switched to the dub shop hidden trigger setup for a cleaner look, and began seeing misfires in the upper rpm range. Same pulley, same plugs, same coils... ran a new shielded cable to the VR sensor, no change, tried a new sensor and still have the misfire. The misfire always occurs at the same rpm range when accelerating above half to full throttle. If you hold the engine at half throttle or below and accelerate to redline, the misfire will never occur.

I have tried adjusting the sensor, no change.. Used the trigger logger and you can see a pattern in the signal that looks like a long sine wave.. I am assuming that some runout in the pulley, or noise in the trigger is causing this? Maybe the pulley flexes more on a quick hard pull vs a long one?

At any rate I am tired of messing with it, so my plan is:
First I will switch from the dub shop hidden trigger back to the CB setup and see if that fixes the misfire. I also plan on ditching the CBR coil on plugs and going with the IGN-4 coil tower.
What ecu?
risk

Post by risk »

ms2 v3.57 board

Doh! I went back to thedubshop.net site and searched... now see a wiring diagram for the added 10k resistor on the MS2 V3.57 board. That info was not on there or supplied when I bought the trigger setup a few years back.

I'm guessing my email just got overlooked or hit the spam folder, Mario has always been great about responding.

I have the resistor but have not been able to try it since it's been raining here the past few days. I'll have that done and a test run as soon as the weather clears.

Also found the IGN-4 wiring diagram on thedubshop site, as I still plan to swap out the COPs for the IGN-4.
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

risk wrote:ms2 v3.57 board

Doh! I went back to thedubshop.net site and searched... now see a wiring diagram for the added 10k resistor on the MS2 V3.57 board. That info was not on there or supplied when I bought the trigger setup a few years back.

I'm guessing my email just got overlooked or hit the spam folder, Mario has always been great about responding.

I have the resistor but have not been able to try it since it's been raining here the past few days. I'll have that done and a test run as soon as the weather clears.

Also found the IGN-4 wiring diagram on thedubshop site, as I still plan to swap out the COPs for the IGN-4.
It took me 2 x 10k to get mine going.

risk

Post by risk »

Well I tried a 10K this morning.. no change. I also have a 20k I'll try later on today.
risk

Post by risk »

Tried the 20k, did not seem to make a difference. I'm gonna put the CB trigger on there and report back.
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

Hope it works for you.

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Play with dwell? Its adjustable on ms, and matters.
The sinewave pattern is typically runout as has been said.
The cpu noise filter options matter, I needed it to at least be enabled on ms2 IIRC for similar reasons.

The IGN-4 coil is for a 2000 era mk4 vw. EXACT same part, much less $$$ and available ~anywhere.
Its even cheaper at the dealer vs certain "resellers" that like to quote things and rename things so they appear to be special and proprietary.

If you check some of the videos of the 1600 hp AWD Boba Golf, he at least fairly recently still ran that stock coil.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
risk

Post by risk »

So I have had some time to mess with the project..and things have gotten worse.

I installed the CB performance trigger setup, no change. Re-ran engine ground wires, re-ran Quadspark ground, installed new shielded VR sensor cable all without any change in my issue.

Started messing with the R52 & R56 pots and doing some logging. Losing sync while cranking multiple times as well as at higher rpm while under load. Also tried the inline resistors on the VR signal and did nothing.

Losing sync reason 2, which is a tooth count problem. Pots do nothing to the signal til a few turns CW on the R52 and the engine will not run or crank. Now I'm having connection issues with the Bluetooth adapter, went back to my old tuning cable and it has issues as well.

Pulled the MS2 out of the car and put it on the JimStim. Connects okay sometimes, other times no.. When it is connected, MS will not get an RPM signal from the Stim.?? All the other pots like temp and map work fine. Double checked all the dip switches and jumpers on the RPM input, still nothing.. Reloaded firmware, nothing.. Loaded a firmware and tune from about 6 years ago, nothing.. Re-installed latest firmware and tune, still no change.

I am thinking there is some hardware issue in the MS that is bad. MS always worked flawlessly on the Stim in the past.

The only thing that has happened since this problem started that I can think of.. A couple years back my alternator bolts came loose and it came apart, shorted out. I put a new alternator on when that happened. Maybe that bad alt caused a voltage spike to the MS and fried something?
andy198712

Re: MS2 VR Sensor Sync Loss

Post by andy198712 »

have a look in the manual under the assembly sections, there will be some tests you can do which will tell you where you should have 5v ect, that seems to be a common test suggested to see if something is wrong internally also maybe try refresh the firmware? just to check but doubtful