Chinese IDF40 defects

Maxviper

Chinese IDF40 defects

Post by Maxviper »

Just an additional observation of a major defect on these units. The path sending the emulsion gas mix from the the main jets across to the Venturi throats has holes because they didn’t build enough metal on the factory castings so when the bore is machined it breaks the wall. This results in air being sucked in from the gas bowl or worse, on acceleration or breaking sucks in gas! That’s 4 holes in each carburetor!
I was counting on swapping my 6 Italian made units on my V12 Xke because I thought it easier than rebuilding. Lesson learned. Only way to fix the knock offs is welding and reboring but it’s a gamble if the castings are not aluminum. I don’t know if all t Chinese units are single source factory but if so take a look if you have these
6D4B4F6B-91BB-47C0-B73C-BB1ED2ED7E1E.jpeg
Looks like tear downs and ultrasonics is unavoidable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andy198712

Re: Chinese IDF40 defects

Post by andy198712 »

ouch!
buildabiggerboxer

Re: Chinese IDF40 defects

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

Epoxy it, I've repaired huge holes in many damaged carbs over the years, even re rebuilt the sculpted the progression hole chamber and re drilled the progression holes the 'experts' said would not work, it did and faultlessly too. Almost any automotive fast epoxy will work, i also use a swimming pool epoxy inside ports to re shape or repair them..