New vs Older EMPI Kadron 43-4412-0 T1 intakes

markvwguy

New vs Older EMPI Kadron 43-4412-0 T1 intakes

Post by markvwguy »

So, swapped out the heads on this 2007cc to AA big valve heads from 040 heads. The reason I could not tune out detonation even on Megasquirt EFI and went back to my Kads as a base line. I torqued the older Empi intakes to factory VW spec (mistake). The heads leaned out the AFR from 12.5ish to the 14's. Classic popping out the intake...... Had to re-jet.. Upon disassembly of the intake/carbs the mounting feet of the intakes broke/cracked. I stay away of any EMPI products at all cost usually.

I ordered up a new set of intakes and now have noticed the castings are quite different.

The intake runner divider is 10mm higher up the throat from the base of the carb The older intakes measure 58mm to the split and the new 47mm and 49mm to the split and have more material to divide the flow. The new intake castings really don't look as good as the older. Pretty disappointed in EMPI again as usual.

My older ones are opened up for the carb base and the heads. I have to do this over again. The out of the box new intakes are small.

I'm thinking I have to make the Xover fitting to up to 1/2"hose and or add a slot between the divider at the base of the head/intake.

I really shouldn't mess with this and get back to the MS injection, but this seems like a learning moment.

Does anyone have any input on the divider being 10mm higher up the throat of the new intakes? Will this make the Kad 2 cylinder idle worse?

Jets on 040 head 55 or 60 idle and 150 main, Going to 55 idle and 155 or 160 main see what the AFR does. Detonation is gone with the new heads.

I have photos I can post, just wanted to bet this post started.