Germanlook.com

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Humble

Post by Humble »

I strongly disagree with #4 and that's one hell of a cop out. I make my living building and configuring servers that are allowed 0 down time. It's achievable and completely possible with the right know how and enough money. I'm tired of waiting for GL to come back, and I'll miss it because I don't think it will ever be the same.
NO_H2O

Post by NO_H2O »

I strongly disagree with #2. The FACT is that germanlook.com was owned by Zen outright when he was the admin. It was transfered to him from Alex and Sandeep. At that point it was not owned by Superman. I'm sure that me voicing my displeasure with how things have been handled since Zen turned the site over will get me BANNED from Supermans site if he gets it back up, just as Oasis and PeteVW were from SBO. That seems to be the MO. If I F*%ked something up this bad, I would expect folks to be pissed off. But I would man up and take the heat and give my explanation instead of sending someone else to do it.
Wally

Post by Wally »

That is not a smart and not a pleasant reply from "Superman" at all.

Very disappointing. With that attitude I think in return I won't post on a 'Superman' site anymore either...
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Sandeep

Post by Sandeep »

Time to build another site ....

I suggest we get in contact with Zen about a hosting package that supports the old database, come up with a new name, and get this show on the road.

The other option may be to hook up with the germanlook.org site.

Sandeep
Bugorsh

Post by Bugorsh »

Just to clear a few things up. In 1999 SuperBeetlesOnly.com was created by Superman as a place for SuperBeetle owners to go hang out and exchange info. In 2001 Brain wanted to create a site and got together with Superman and they created the ShopTalkForums.com site. Superman wanted a place for European car looks to be shared and came up with the Euro Look Forum we are on now. Later he want to specialize in the German Look and Superman created the GermanLook.com site. Anyone who has been an administrator knows it takes quite a bit of time and effort to keep a forum site up and running smoothly while trying to keep all of its members happy. After a while Alex was put in charge of GermanLook as the admin and later the duties were turned over to Zen. Both did a great job. Apparently Zen got tired of being the admin on GermanLook.com (you'll have to ask him for his reasons) and so Superman took over again. I am helping admin the SBO! site so Superman can devote more time to the GermanLook.com site and make it even better than it has been in the past. The tuning shop will be there to make some money to keep both sites running and improving as time goes by. There are extenuating circumstances that are delaying the relaunch of GermanLook.com but it will be back up soon and better than ever, so please be patient. As far as banning certain people goes, there are some rules of etiquete that are posted for those who join and participare in these sites to live by. They are very few and should be easy to follow. Some people just cannot play nicely and as a result they get their toys taken away. Not much else to say on the subject other than Superman is responsible for alot of what you have come to enjoy, so I say cut the guy a little slack...
petevw

Post by petevw »

Bugorsh wrote: As far as banning certain people goes, there are some rules of etiquete that are posted for those who join and participare in these sites to live by. They are very few and should be easy to follow. Some people just cannot play nicely and as a result they get their toys taken away. Not much else to say on the subject other than Superman is responsible for alot of what you have come to enjoy, so I say cut the guy a little slack...
I would love to know why I am no longer on SBO. Never had a "etiquete" issue on any other forum. Just reread the SBO's Forum Terms & Rules. Didn't spend much time there, but I posted:

-pics and info about my 1302
-wanted ad for swaybar clamps
-inquired on the Kamei spoiler group buy
-posted within the germanlook thread on SBO.

Sent a email to Superman about this, no reply. :(

Back on topic: As far as what is going on with Germanlook, i'm just sitting on the sidelines. I don't have the knowledge to do the site stuff. I just deleted/reported the spam that would show up. You want to program a robotic automated assembly line? I'm your guy. I can't weld by hand, but with a robot i can mig/spot anything.
NO_H2O wrote: I'm sure that me voicing my displeasure with how things have been handled since Zen turned the site over will get me BANNED from Supermans site if he gets it back up, just as Oasis and PeteVW were from SBO.
Dave, your listed as the recommended shop on the updated germanlook.com page.
So what's going on? What's the inside scoop? :D

Bugorsh, why doesn't Superman post here?

Sandeep, i'm pretty sure i know what will be discussed at our club meet on the 14th. :lol:

Pete
'01 Golf - some mods
'72 Super - more mods
'52 Split - crazy mods

'65 Bus 21w W\T - stock for now
NO_H2O

Post by NO_H2O »

petevw wrote:
Dave, your listed as the recommended shop on the updated germanlook.com page.
So what's going on? What's the inside scoop? :D
I was suprised about that myself. But. Superman called me today and told me why the forum is not up. He has had trouble converting the forum and site content from the format it was/is in to the format needed for a different forum software (I am not an IT guy and have no idea what any of that takes) After 3 phone conversations with him He has loaded all of the content back up on Germanlook.com but he/we need someone who knows the "Old" software to make it all work again. He has asked for a hand in makeing things right again and extended his apologies to everyone for this prolonged outage.
I have PMed Sandeep to see if might be willing to put humpty dumpty back together again. Zen is axle deep to a Farris Wheel in work and family stuff, I know nothing about forum admin and it looks like this would be a quicker (again I know nothing about it) way to get it up and running again.
I also hate the fact that when we have a problem on germanlook.com we seem to gather here at STF and then go running back after the problem is solved. Not sure how to solve that one.
Sandeep

Post by Sandeep »

replied to PM
NO_H2O

Post by NO_H2O »

Sandeep has things in work. Everyone give him a large thank you for his efforts please.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Sandeep,
Speaking from a lurker perspective, thank you for making sure that this information, and knowledge base is not lost.

Rob
wrenchnride247

Post by wrenchnride247 »

Thank's Sandeep!!! :D :D :D
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

I also hate the fact that when we have a problem on germanlook.com we seem to gather here at STF and then go running back after the problem is solved. Not sure how to solve that one.
X2.

Only, I CAN think of a way to solve it....
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Clatter wrote:
X2.

Only, I CAN think of a way to solve it....
(Nods head...)

Also, thank you, Sandeep!
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Jim Andritsakos

Post by Jim Andritsakos »

THANKS Sandeep for your great help & support.
NO_H2O

Post by NO_H2O »

Sandeep has been at it for a while. There are some issues with the database. The software keeps trying to call up tables or fields that are not there. It looks like there is a good bit of corruption in the backup he has to work with. He is not sure if some data has been deleted or if it was lost in an attempt to convert it from Vbulletin to a new format (I think I got that right,,,, I am not an IT guy) Zen has a clean backup but it is from sometime in 2006 if needed. Lots of forum posting would be lost but far more could be saved using a 2006 backup vs not being able to use a corrupted 2008 backup.