Hydraulic Clutches

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Plastermaster

Hydraulic Clutches

Post by Plastermaster »

I recently saw a hydraulic clutch kit advertized in VW Trends. Has anyone had any experience with these? Is there much of a difference in the feel of the clutch, or better for performance? Or is it more just a solution to Clutch cable failure?

Ron
calereeves

Hydraulic Clutches

Post by calereeves »

I'm not sure about it, but I want to do this to mine while the suspension work is being done. I would think the peddle pressure would be MUCH lighter. not sure though. would like to know, though.....

Cale
Michael Ghia

Hydraulic Clutches

Post by Michael Ghia »

The only real advantage from using a hydraulic clucth is that you can mix and choose the ratio of master cylinder to slave cylinder for really strong and heavy clutches.
If the clutch is strong enough and light enough... why waste your money.
Maybe there's another reason for fitting a hydraulic clutch I've over looked??
Mike Ghia

------------------
Modification is a form of Art.
Griznant

Hydraulic Clutches

Post by Griznant »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Maybe there's another reason for fitting a hydraulic clutch I've over looked??
Mike Ghia

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're self-adjusting.
Michael Ghia

Hydraulic Clutches

Post by Michael Ghia »

Ah... good point!! Image
Mike Ghia

------------------
Modification is a form of Art.
jamescharnley

Hydraulic Clutches

Post by jamescharnley »

you also remove the hassle of the clutch cable tube snaping off inside the tunnel when using high pressure clutch's
Bob!

Hydraulic Clutches

Post by Bob! »

Also, if you had a "push" type clutch on your gearbox, the cable wouldnt work so a hydro clutch would solve the prob yes????....or am i getting that whole pull/push thing wrong here???
calereeves

Hydraulic Clutches

Post by calereeves »

if you put a hydrolic clutch on, do you just have the slave cylinder push on the lever that the cable connects to, or do you have to add more stuff?
cale
stevestromberg

Hydraulic Clutches

Post by stevestromberg »

I had one in the DatsaVolka. It was a 1966 Datsun pickup with the Drivetrain removed and a 69 Type1 Drivetrain install under the bed it was a "Bolt on" insatllation as none of the VW was welded to the Datsun. We were thing of making a kit for the swap but, things changed and I only built the prototype. It used the Girling 3/4 Master and a pulltype slave that is used on Dune Buggy's. The only problem was the Wingnut kept loosening, that was solved by doublenuts on the shaft. Oh btw the DastsVolka would keep up with the ATC's in the sand and was used for 10 years as a offroader but it was street legal.Steve

[This message has been edited by stevestromberg (edited 11-03-2001).]
kdanie

Hydraulic Clutches

Post by kdanie »

I will be using a hydraulic clutch on my '68 IRS pan (the only '68 IRS pan in the US was the AutoStick, no clutch tube). You can use a hydraulic clutch with slave cylinder on a push or pull type clutch, you just mount the slave cylinder in the appropriate position to get the actuation you need to operate the pressure plate. A neat product available for push type pressure plates is a throwout bearing that is actually a slave cylinder also. You just mount it over the input shaft sleeve and hook up your hyd. line and bleed the system, no more release arms and slave cylinders outside the bellhousing. McLoed Clutches sells them and will custom make them to fit your transaxle. I think they can make them to fit in a 901 but I think the 915 does not have enough room.
ken
martin

Hydraulic Clutches

Post by martin »

I've got a Wilwood Pedal and clutch slave cyclinder, the slave cyl. is really well made, but as my cars not on the road yet i cant comment on how well they work. This will overcome the push pull problem.
george2000

Re: Hydraulic Clutches

Post by george2000 »

hi i am driving a 2007 type 1 engine with a porsche 915 transmission and 225 clutch which is very heavy for my left foot.i want to converte this to ydraulic.do you have any ideas about the master and slave cylinders etc...and what do you suggest me to do.thanks
Jadewombat

Re: Hydraulic Clutches

Post by Jadewombat »

george2000 wrote:hi i am driving a 2007 type 1 engine with a porsche 915 transmission and 225 clutch which is very heavy for my left foot.i want to converte this to ydraulic.do you have any ideas about the master and slave cylinders etc...and what do you suggest me to do.thanks
Call CNC, they set me up with a setup for my 1303 today with Porsche brakes.

619-275-1663

http://www.cncbrakes.com/