High Speeds

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Post Reply
Bruce2
Posts: 6964
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:01 am

Re: High Speeds

Post by Bruce2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:45 am

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:30 pm
Hmmm, for some reason I thought that there were a few of those made with the 396. https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/chev ... ions-1966/
Interesting article, but it's lacking. No mention of the El Camino, which is based on the Chevelle.
The story I heard is that all station wagons were made in the Southern California plant. 396s weren't supplied to California. However, there is rumoured to be one factory built 396 wagon. The top manager of the station wagon plant wanted one, so he pulled some favours and had an engine shipped to California to be installed.

Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 16153
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:17 am

Re: High Speeds

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:48 am

Bruce2 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:45 am
Ol'fogasaurus wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:30 pm
Hmmm, for some reason I thought that there were a few of those made with the 396. https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/chev ... ions-1966/
Interesting article, but it's lacking. No mention of the El Camino, which is based on the Chevelle.
The story I heard is that all station wagons were made in the Southern California plant. 396s weren't supplied to California. However, there is rumoured to be one factory built 396 wagon. The top manager of the station wagon plant wanted one, so he pulled some favours and had an engine shipped to California to be installed.
Bruce, what you said doesn't suprise me a bit. Yes, cars can, and are, assembled in various plants located in different areas of the country just as some off-shore car companies do. I think I mentioned that they would stop the lines every-so-often to make specialty cars or special order cars (I had one, a special order '67 Mustang with a 335 hp instead of a 320 hp 390 4 spd that the buyer forgot to pick up so is was free game) and they would made cars based on iffy tolerances ( :roll: ) run (I had one of these also) so a 396 in a Malibu wagon doesn't seem to be out of the ordanary. Engine mods by the dealers were common as were specialty companies that did the mods also.

The auto industry can be very interesting at time (and that can be + and - :D / :shock: )

Lee

User avatar
WickedWagens
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:33 pm

Re: High Speeds

Post by WickedWagens » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:56 am

My fastest timing slip in my Ghia at Bonneville is 161.89 mph over 3 miles. 1915cc Turbo
1968 Karmann Ghia land speed
G/CFALT 106.643 MPH G/CGALT 113.131 MPH
G/CBGALT 134.606 MPH G/CBFALT 146.715 MPH
G/CBGC 158.242 MPH H/CBGC 94.334 MPH
H/CPRO 93.383 MPH H/CBFALT 101.282 MPH
H/CBGALT 120.591 MPH
Top Speed 161.896 MPH

User avatar
davidt
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:44 am

Re: High Speeds

Post by davidt » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:23 am

Can we get back on topic please. Please go to the Chev forum to discuss those types of vehicles.
I would like to hear about VW's in this forum.
Thanks

David

Bruce2
Posts: 6964
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:01 am

Re: High Speeds

Post by Bruce2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 am

You're a little late to the party, David. Lee and I gave up the Chevy talk 6 months ago!

Bruce2
Posts: 6964
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:01 am

Re: High Speeds

Post by Bruce2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:37 am

Driving my 100% stock 74 Beetle last fall, rolling on the original 6.00x15 tires (taller than 165s). I had the GPS speedo application open on my phone, I did a top speed run in the early evening. That last mph took a long time, but it finally got up to 88mph, just enough to time travel!

User avatar
richie,uk
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:01 am

Re: High Speeds

Post by richie,uk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 am

Mine is probably a little more extreme than most but I have gone over 158mph in my stock brakes/stock suspension beetle cabrio with turbo 2387 engine and over 170mph in my beetle cabrio race car, even my daily 67 cabrio see's over 90mph most days on my commute to and from work ;)


Hi Bruce :-)



cheers Richie

User avatar
richie,uk
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:01 am

Re: High Speeds

Post by richie,uk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:54 am

Oh and I just finished a 75 1303/super beetle build daily driver combo that I geared for 155mph top speed, hopefully it will regularly see that once I get the bugs ironed out!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bruce2
Posts: 6964
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:01 am

Re: High Speeds

Post by Bruce2 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:22 am

richie,uk wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 am
..... and over 170mph in my beetle cabrio race car,
cheers Richie
We have a winner, folks!

BTW, if you don't believe Richie, there are plenty of videos on YT to prove it. Perhaps Richie will post a link to one?

User avatar
Chip Birks
Posts: 3694
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 pm

Re: High Speeds

Post by Chip Birks » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:35 am

richie,uk wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 am
Mine is probably a little more extreme than most but I have gone over 158mph in my stock brakes/stock suspension beetle cabrio with turbo 2387 engine and over 170mph in my beetle cabrio race car, even my daily 67 cabrio see's over 90mph most days on my commute to and from work ;)


Hi Bruce :-)



cheers Richie
Stock brakes? As is drums front and rear? Or did you wrong hand drive folks get disks up front by that point?

User avatar
richie,uk
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:01 am

Re: High Speeds

Post by richie,uk » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:38 pm

Chip Birks wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:35 am

Stock brakes? As is drums front and rear? Or did you wrong hand drive folks get disks up front by that point?
Hey Chip
Yes we got front discs

cheers Richie

User avatar
richie,uk
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:01 am

Re: High Speeds

Post by richie,uk » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Bruce2 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:22 am
richie,uk wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 am
..... and over 170mph in my beetle cabrio race car,
cheers Richie
We have a winner, folks!

BTW, if you don't believe Richie, there are plenty of videos on YT to prove it. Perhaps Richie will post a link to one?
You can just search richie webb on youtube and a few come up :lol: Heres one of the quicker ones, beware the screaming at the end!!!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYGgrq_pPiw

andy198712
Posts: 2430
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: High Speeds

Post by andy198712 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:54 pm

your latest one is a butt clincher!

what caused that do you think?

any tips for seeing high speeds and not dying?

Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 16153
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:17 am

Re: High Speeds

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sat May 25, 2019 2:19 pm

Yup, the screaming at the end did make my butt pucker. Nice rig, nice ride. Never raced 1/8th mile... all over too quickly especially with a car that fast. Good job sir!

Lee

User avatar
Chip Birks
Posts: 3694
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 pm

Re: High Speeds

Post by Chip Birks » Sat May 25, 2019 6:22 pm

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:19 pm
Yup, the screaming at the end did make my butt pucker. Nice rig, nice ride. Never raced 1/8th mile... all over too quickly especially with a car that fast. Good job sir!

Lee
That wasn't 1/8th mile. That was 1/4 mile in 7.9 seconds! The butt pucker comes from one of his recent passes, car was on two wheels at one point, and not just the rear two.

Post Reply