20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by Wally »

Paul H wrote:Good numbers Wally :D
I have a 2160 T1 going on the dyno soon
with larger than normal cam and 044 heads
I'll be trying 3 turbos for comparison one of which
is a GT30 we can see what it makes at 20psi
Thanks Paul!
That would indeed be an interesting test.
Let us know how it went,
Regards,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
User avatar
Paul H
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by Paul H »

What were your intake temps and timing
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by Wally »

Paul H wrote:What were your intake temps and timing
IAT was 15 Celcius.
Your a tuning expert by trade, so I am sure you will find your own best timing for that engine :lol:

Any results yet?
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
User avatar
yvre
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:58 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by yvre »

Secrets secrets...
User avatar
Paul H
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by Paul H »

15 Degree charge temp at 20 psi ? I'd have to run a charge cooler with tap water flowing through
to get near that
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by Wally »

Paul H wrote:15 Degree charge temp at 20 psi ? I'd have to run a charge cooler with tap water flowing through
to get near that
Yes, I agree, it is stupidly low. I actually print-screened the log of that dyno run if you don't believe it. IAT rose just 2 or 3 Celcius during that 10 second run..
In fact, I had such a hard time believing it that I bought a different IAT sensor that was believed to react faster. Martin Tayler said s/th in that direction as well as he mentioned that he thought the Bosch sensor on his split reacted too slow.
The Dephi IAT sensor I run now showed however the same temperature curves, so there is probably some truth in these air temps after all.
The extremely good cooling alu cylinders, original type 4 heads and the Riechert cooling fan combined with WI and the largest air-air intercooler I could fit would also explain I can run a failly decent advance, but you probably gathered as much I suspect :wink: All on unleaded pump gas too!
Air-air intercooling FTW! :lol:

Any results from the turbo-testing Paul?
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
User avatar
Paul H
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by Paul H »

The motor is next on the dyno and I always run a thermocouple probe next to
the regular NTC sensor. I like to keep the ambient air temp at around 25C which
is about the same temp as the engine bay in a bus so for me to get 15c charge temps
I'd have to use a charge cooler with cold tap water to bring temps below ambient.
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by Wally »



No 11's unfortunately as it seemed the clutch was slipping at the line at least.
Still did a lot of fun runs, most all 12.0-12.3's at a best of 114.8 mph.

On the way to home did a little unlimited running on the Autobahn :mrgreen:
I'd say its stable at 137 mph :mrgreen:
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
User avatar
yvre
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:58 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by yvre »

Man, I can imagine the look on peoples faces when they get passed by your car...
Priceless!
64bug
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:40 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by 64bug »

holy hell.... :shock: awesome :twisted:
User avatar
MarioVelotta
Posts: 4086
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:01 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by MarioVelotta »

I wish that we could use our horse power like that :evil:
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
64bug
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:40 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by 64bug »

We can, we just end up I jail...
User avatar
Paul H
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by Paul H »

Nice going Wally you got balls !
I remember taking my bus upto 125mph speedo was obviously innacurate but just touched the
rev limit in 4th and it certainly wasn't stable had to make sure I had the use of all three lanes
of the 70mph limit motorway
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by Wally »

Paul H wrote:Nice going Wally you got balls !
I remember taking my bus upto 125mph
..wasn't stable had to make sure I had the use of all three lanes
of the 70mph limit motorway
And you say I have balls? :lol:
Its much less an effort now the car stays stable. The AVO's, excentric top struts and the extra aero help of the front splitter really made this possible imo.

Just send an order/email to KEP. I have asked for the same now 3 times in 3 replies to his questions and he still doesn't get it... Gets really frustrating as I am in a bit of a hurry to get the car launch properly for the next event(s)..
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
User avatar
fastback
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2001 12:01 am

Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!

Post by fastback »

this is such a great build ! a very good source for inspiration!

keep it up :)
Post Reply