MSD Ignition Price

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
rumblbug
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 12:01 am

MSD Ignition Price

Post by rumblbug »

In the newest VW Trends (January, I think) they install an MSD ignition kit, with distributor, box, coil, and plug wires. Do any of you have one of these? Does it really give almost a 30 HP increase? Also, how much does it cost?

Thanks,

------------------
-Drew
- [email protected]
-SouthEast Aircooled Volkswagens
Go-Dawg-Go
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 12:01 am

MSD Ignition Price

Post by Go-Dawg-Go »

I installed a MSD 6A and tach adapter about a month or so ago. I needed the tach adapter because I have a 79 with fuel injection. I didnt use there distributer, the stock distributer works just as well for much less $$$$$. You will need to drill two holes in your cap though. Check out the super beetles only site for all sorts of good info on this subject. I did get a noticable increase in power and my gas milage jumped from 26.5 to 30.5 m/gal!!! Good luck.

oh the price - The MSD is about $130 - Check out the CDI at Aircooled.net it much less expensive. There seems to be strong opinion about MSD - CDI ignitions but either way you cant go wrong!!!

[This message has been edited by Go-Dawg-Go (edited 11-29-2000).]
User avatar
danielzink
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:01 am

MSD Ignition Price

Post by danielzink »

<< You will need to drill two holes in your cap though. C >>

why is this ? I run an MSD 6AL box with a blue coil and 050 dist w/Pertronix - Jacobs plug wires and I was never told about drilling holes in the dist. cap. Please elaborate.

Dan
GO_DAWG_GO

MSD Ignition Price

Post by GO_DAWG_GO »

as I understand it, when or if you widen your plug gap, which you should to gain max preformance from a CDI - you run the risk of crossfire. Check out the post on Super Beetles Only for some great info.(go back about 5 pages)
Post Reply